Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy jet nightmare!!

Easy jet nightmare!!

Last Wednesday we started our holiday to Inverness from Bristol Airport. As I've only been in a power chair since December it was the first time to fly with one. I was very anxious of the whole prospect. I was very close to cancelling, but everyone assured me that 100s of people fly with wheelchairs on the plane, don't worry!! ... What a bloody nightmare.
    It started at check-in!
    They wanted to know what was battery type of power chair? I had no idea!! (I wasn't asked this question online when booking) so the guy on checkout tried to Google it without any success. In the end I rang the company myself to find out!! This in itself took ages!
    Took ages to get through baggage etc. Making it quite a lengthy process. Finally get to departure lounge to hear final call for our flight!! We didn't even hear 1st call!
    Anyway all four of our stress levels had risen quite a bit by then, but we finally get to board the plane. Then they started the procedure to get me on the plane. The guy wanted to know how to disable it! Again we had no idea apart from switching it off. He said we should have some sort of toggle! Anyway after a lot of messing about we are set to get on the plane! Again not a great experience. The two guys were humming and haaing about how to get me transferred! Finally get seated and were off! Yay I can relax! Wrong! Get to Inverness and the assistance guys get on plane. They can't transfer me to my chair yet as they can't move it! So, get off plane still on my transfer(uncomfortable) chair. Sat on very hot runway with the guys trying to get my chair started. Not happening so they get me indoors on a manual chair, while husband stays with them while they try to get it going. Nothing happening so they free wheel it inside. I'm crying by this point and our taxi has arrived. After several phone calls and ringing wheelchairs services we leave it to them to sort and get repaired and we borrow one of their wheelchairs the get going to our b and b. Our taxi driver was amazing. He also was ringing places for us.
    At this point I made up my mind I am never flying again!
    We start unpacking and realise we are a suitcase short! Ring taxi company, no they haven't got it. Ring airport, no they havent got it. So I report it missing. For God's sake... Beam me up scottie!
    Getting back to chair gate.
    To be fair they kept in Contact with me and get it repaired the next afternoon. They rang to say come and get it. We are staying 15 miles away so I told them they need to deliver it to me! Wheelchair sorted but dreading the journey home. Still no sign of suitcase! Grrrr.... Rant over!

Nice relaxing break then Pink;

Chairs and scooter need to have a switch that 's there mainly for planes or maybe the main fuses would do the same thing.

I don't think that I would fly with my wheelchair as it's not uncommon for them to get damaged and I would have a lot of trouble using a standard chair.

hope your suitcase soon arrives and you can enjoy Inverness .

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Pink

For an Airline that calls themselves Easy Jet not so easy ! What nightmare for you...so sorry you had to endure all that.

I hope it didn't completely sour you from traveling again, maybe try a different Airline, that one didn't seem very efficient and competent in handling your needs. There may be other airlines better equipped to meet the needs of their passengers.

Hope you can enjoy, and you have a much better, and easier journey home.

(Hugs)

CCxox

Forum Member
    Hi Pink
    That sounds absolutely horrendous.. you must have been so stressed. You need a holiday to get over it.

We have flown several times with my mobility scooter and Ryanair are surprisingly good . They always want to check weights and dimensions for their paper work. My husband keeps the info on his phone ! Jet 2 are good too ! They let me ride my scooter onto the lift to the plane and have it waiting for me when I get off the lift. I insist my husband is with me in the special assistance area and in the lift to the plane because he knows how to help me transfer.

However , last week in Spain the lift off the plane had broken so I had to be carried down the plane steps in a wheelchair by two strong men. They just told me to shut my eyes and count to thirty in Spanish. It was very scary although we did laugh about it!
    I hope your journey home is happier and less stressful and it does not put you off flying again.
    Love Debbie x

Flying is very stressful when you need to rely on a wheelchair but It is worth it and I just want to travel, while I still can enjoy it . ( before we run out of money ! )

Oh no Pink that’s not a good start to your holiday. Airlines will only carry wheelchairs and scooters with lithium ion batteries or dry cell and they should be removed and carried in your hand luggage but you were not to know that. As Terry says the handling staff are not very careful and damage often occurs. As for the suitcase I hope it was your husband’s and not yours (only kidding).
    I do hope you enjoy the holiday and have an uneventful journey back.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

I know I was probably a bit naive but I honestly do not remember being asked what type of wheelchair I'd be taking. All I remember was having to say if it was electric or manual!!

Forum Member
    We’re just back from Disney in Florida, the journey out was ok with a manual chair as they took her in one of those scissor lifts but anybody else got on so she had time and wasn’t flustered, but coming back from Sanford was a nightmare the special assistance we requested just didn’t exist! Jen had to get out of the wheelchair amongst all the other passengers and walk the full length of the plane, people behind her were tutting and pushing so she fell! My husband asked them to get the wheelchair the air hostess looked at him like he had two heads but got and said oooh I’ve never used this before, finally got to our seats and requested they bring their wheelchair to get her off, we had no problem when we got off the staff at Newcastle were fantastic.

Forum Member
    That's awful Jaxx

Some people forget how to behave. What airlines did you fly ?

CC xox

That's terrible jaxx. Hope she didn't hurt herself x

Forum Member
    How terrible for you all Jaxx .It really puts you off and it is not fair to have to rely on others because it makes you feel even more vulnerable. Hope you managed to enjoy being there x