Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy jet nightmare!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccinjersey View Post
    That's awful Jaxx

Some people forget how to behave. What airlines did you fly ?

CC xox
    Hi CC,

Just to let you know that regional airports in the U K don’t offer the choice you have in the USA. Budget airlines operate favourite routes and we have to use Heathrow for a choice however very few like the capital airport.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Pink,

Sorry your journey up was so traumatic!

You should have been asked more detailed questions & given more information by easyJet when you rang to organise carriage of your wheelchair, giving you ample time to find out about your chair.

That said, you were very lucky that easyJet/airport staff would even think of touching your wheelchair to make it fit to fly, as they'd no idea what to do, so hats off to them - many airlines would have walked away and put the onus on you to sort it out

I'm worried you'll face the same anguish on your return flight! Can you download the User Manual and familiarise yourselves with its pertinent parts to reduce stress levels? I'm quite sure the thought of the return flight is already on your mind

I really hope the missing case has arrived by now and you're all enjoying a much needed, well deserved holiday.

Love Ellie.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the information Barry. I didn't know that, and I thought it might have been one of the big commercial airlines and was curious to know which one seemed incompetent in addressing her needs.

CCxox

After my experience last summer, when I could still walk a short distance with a stick, I've decided to quit flying.
    The airports are responsible for providing assistance for disabled passengers but some airports are better than others.
    My wife and I flew from Manchester to Berlin via Heathrow with BA.
    At Manchester the assistance was excellent. I was taken by wheelchair through security and to a waiting area in the departure lounge and then to the door of the aircraft for departure.
    At Heathrow, well, what a disaster. Me and 3 or 4 others requiring assistance disembarked the aircraft and were directed to seats part way up the airbridge to await the wheelchairs. After about 20 minutes of waiting I decided to hobble up the rest of the airbridge to see what was happening . I emerged into terminal 5 to a wall of glass doors, all locked. The member of staff on the other side was amazed to see us. She mouthed that she couldn't open the doors and had to get a colleague. When I told her I'd been waiting for assistance she said she'd go and get a wheelchair. I the told her there were 3 or 4 more people down the airbridge also waiting. I decided to hobble around Heathrow with my stick.
    Arriving at Berlin, I was met at the aircraft door by a lovely young lady who was awaiting my arrival. She whisked my wife and I through passport control, to baggage collection, waited with us to get our bags and took us out to a taxi. She was brilliant.
    Returning home from Vienna to Manchester my name was called at the gate in Vienna and along with another lady I was taken out to the aircraft before other passengers. Arriving back in Manchester there was a wheelchair awaiting me and again I was taken through passport control and out of the airport to get the bus to the car park

So, my message is, if you must fly, avoid Heathrow.

As I now struggle to walk with crutches, I've decided to give up flying, it's just too much hassle.

Andy

Forum Member
    It was TUI that we flew with we were ensured all would be well, it wasnít! Have to say they catered very well for disabled people in the Disney resorts, the shuttle busses allowed disabled and their families to board first, the driver strapped in Jen and the wheelchair then let the rest of the passengers on. In the parks there was disabled access to all the rides and she managed all the ones we went on except one.
    Struggled a bit getting on and off the coach to and from the airport, but her children had a marvellous time (even though the baby wonít remember a thing,) as did both sets of grandparents!

Forum Member
    Hi Jaxx

That's wonderful Disney was so wonderful for your family, well it is suppose to be the 'happiest place on earth'

We drove down there years ago when my kids were little, about a 24 hour drive and we stopped off in every State collecting souvenirs and stuff for my kids, making the trip even longer, but fun.

Not so fun when we got into the deep South States, we realized quickly they seemed to be still holding some kind of grudge against us 'Yankees' lol

Even back then Disney was wonderful ! 'Its a Small World' the little boat ride that takes you around the world in 15 minutes with the little moving and singing dolls representing all the countries.....kind of corny, but always be one of my top ten rides there

Maybe consider writing a letter of complaint to the airlines, maybe after hearing all the issues your daughter encountered they will make the necessary improvements to ensure it doesn't happen again to a passenger requiring additional assistance.

CCxox

No sign of suitcase Ellie! When we arrived in Inverness there was a toggle (which the guy originally said we needed) in the chair which they must of found from somewhere, so we kept hold of it for the return journey. Hopefully that is all they will need. Hopefully they won't break it next time. I also made a note of the battery type.

Hi Pink,

It baffles me how they can loose a suitcase on an internal flight of 500 miles. Maybe someone took yours as happened to me a few years ago in Egypt but the travel agent made him take a taxi to my hotel and then he had to return to the airport where his suitcase was. Justice was done although I had to take dinner in the clothes I’d been wearing all day.

Enjoy your holiday.

Barry x
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    have flew many times in wheelchair and now power chair and never really had many problems except in New York when special assistance put the wheels on the wrong way round on my wheelchair and jammed. the key is to contact special assistance in plenty of time with spec of the chair , tell them what assistance you need and most importantly know the easiest way to disable the chair (I usually just get them to pull out a connector) as you will probably have to repeat it a few times. a word on Disney though yes it's great for getting around but there are no toilet facilities if you need a hoist. they do let you use the first aid room clean or change pads.

Still haven't got case barry!! When we go back to airport on weds, I'm hoping to see the girl who helped us sort the chair out. Want to make sure they know what to do this time. I've got her phone number so I may even contact her tomorrow.