Thread: Foot Splints

Foot Splints

Hi all,
    Yesterday I had in dubious pleasure of having foot splints fitted!
    Apart from having my feet far too close to the fitter's genital region while he wrestled them on, my feet are feeling quite delicate today after 24 hours.
    They are Neurodyn-Classic affairs with lots of velcro straps.
    Not the prettiest but I can cope with that!
    Also not great that I was ordered one black and one nude coloured, so have to go back for one more of each to make 2 matching pairs. I can live with that too...
    But they seem bloomin' tight. I know my feet and ankles swell up during the day but am not sure they should be this tight.
    Also I am not really sure how long I should be wearing them (i.e. hours per day/night)
    Any veteran wearers out there or knowledgable people?
    Marigold

Hi, they sound very muchijw ones I had not long after being diagnosed. Like stretchy black ankle socks with no toes and black velcro straps. I had them for around 2 years and wore from 6.30 until about an hour before bed, so easily 15 hrs a day. I was still working, they gave me a lot more confidence in walking. I used them for around two years until I got stronger ones.

Ok cool, thanks Cath.
    And we’re they meant to be quite tight?

Yes, they were tight. Think they got slacker with time, but I liked the straps tight as I felt they worked better.

Forum Member
    Hi Marigold,
    I had foot splints fitted by the physio a few weeks ago. On the plus side they do really help me lift my feet for walking a few steps at home or out with my walker or sticks. I feel like I am less likely to trip.
    They are really tight and make my feet swell so I only use them when I want to walk. It's also a nuisance because I cannot put them on myself .. even the physio struggled because they need to be tight, apparently.
    On a more flippant note, they should make them in bright and blingy colours . There's definitely a market there !
    Love Debbie x

Maybe we should come up with some new designs- you are right!

Forum Member
    HI MARIGOLD

I have a shoe splint for my left foot drop. A plastic section fits securely under the front laces of my shoe and it has a clip plastic clip which attached to an ankle wrap-around. It lifts my foot and enable me to walk confidently. When I am indoors I take off my shoes and undo the clip and re-attach it to an elasticated piece that wraps around my foot. It Velcro's on, so it can be as tight or as looser as needed. Using the shoe-less lift means I trip less and don't have to wear shoes indoors. This has been a blessing during this hot spell! The NHS provided the shoe lift but I purchased the shoe-less section on-line. It wasn't cheap but has proved to be worth the expense.