Thread: Polymyositis

Polymyositis

Hi folks, have wondered if anybody here has ever been investigated for Polymyositis, Dermatomyositis? Thank you
    Jo

Forum Member
    I researched every possibility of a different condition and even arranged an appointment with prof Shaw in Sheffield as she diagnosed someone with polymyositis after they were diagnosed with MND. We had a consultation and she re did all the tests but came up with the same diagnosis. The symptoms are very similar so we were grasping at straws but anything was worth a try. Good luck.

Hi Jo,

Polymyositis is a condition affecting the muscles. MND is a condition affecting the nerves. They differ in many ways.

The 'good' thing about PM is that it is easier to diagnose - EMG, NCS, muscle biopsy & blood tests give a definitive diagnosis.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Hello
    I think everyone with MND has hoped that they had Polymyositis. In May I had an appointment with Professor Shaw at Sheffield , I was hoping I had Polymyositis but I knew in my heart I had MND.and that was the diagnosis.
    Chris

Thank you all, it is a hope yes. Its just that I have a rash across my cheeks and nose, chest and shoulders that nobody has discussed? I recently spoke to some PM and DM patients who said my rash needed looking at. I'm seeing Prof McDermott in 2 weeks so will ask if it could be related?

Forum Member
    Hello
    I hope it is Polymyositis and not MND.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks. It's a slim chance seeing as I have the utmost respect and trust in Prof McDermott and he should know if anybody? He treats Polymyositis so he must have considered it along with all other possible diseases when he was diagnosing me? However he never actually tested me for Polymyositis or dermatomyositis as I was passed to him by my original Neuro because he didn't know if I had a neuropathy or a degenerative issue? He had had me on ivig for 2 years and couldn't diagnose confidently? But in that whole time PM or DM wasn't mentioned. I am wondering if they decided it wasn't a muscle issue by the emgs I had over the 2 years?