Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: early symptoms

Forum Member
    Hi Richard
    It's looking very much like you haven't got ALS the EMG will confirm it . By the time I went to the neurologist I couldn't walk without a rollator , and he could tell in the first ten minutes of examination , and of course it was confirmed with EMG

Good luck to you Richard

Love Chris

Forum Member
    Thanks Chris for the quick reply. I hope you're right but if my pain gets worse, i'll need a rollator too

I asked my Neuro for an opioid med for the pain, but he advised to just use the Lyrica.

I wonder what others on here use to relieve their pain?

Forum Member
    Hi Richard
    My husband has ALS,he does experience pain, quite severe pain in his legs and bones.This is however,a relatively new symptom.His symptoms started with foot drop, although he had been very tired and a little clumsy prior to the foot drop.He takes tramadol and paracetamol regularly.

Forum Member
    Hi Richard(again)
    My husband says "do you smoke?"
    Your symptoms are consistent with intermittent claudication, this is due to the capillaries becoming restricted in your legs.
    This will cause pain and weakness when walking and relief upon rest.Have you considered peripheral arterial disease? Check your brachial blood pressure and you could get a doppler test.

Forum Member
    Thank you Marge. No i don't smoke but i lived with a smoker for 4 years. I appreciate your advice and help.

Forum Member
    Hi Richard
    The fasciculations are also consistent with PAD and the tests are relatively simple.
    I am sure its a terribly worrying time for you and lack of diagnosis for your pain is frustrating.
    Good luck and whilst PAD would not be so great, it will be far easier to manage than MND.

Forum Member
    Hi Marge,

Thank you. I will see what the results of the EMG are and take it from there.