Thread: Imminent Wheelchair Assessment

Imminent Wheelchair Assessment

Hi all,
    Needing some top tips as have Assessment coming up soon.
    Is there anything I need to be aware of or questions to ask when I get there?
    Am desperate to get one as I have been renting one for the short term.
    I really donít know anything about them and need to make sure I get this right.
    Also are they funded or will I be shelling out and how long does it take?
    Sorry, but lots of questions...
    Marigold

If it's your local wheelchair services that are doing your assessment they will only lend you a powered chair if you cannot get around indoors, or in getting around with another device, such as a walker of some kind and you still fall over. I had such an assessment a couple of months ago. They don't charge as it's loaned to you. Good luck.

Forum Member
    HI Marigold,
    I am certainly not an expert on this but I had a wheelchair assessment a couple of months ago. They measured my arms and legs and I think the height I would need .. You shouldnt have to fund it.
    At the moment I am managing with a rollator in the house and an electric scooter or a manual wheelchair when we are out .

I too would like to find out more about electric wheelchairs so would be grateful for any advice.

Hope you're getting on ok.
    Love Debbie

Marigold, I have good chair provided by my local council up in the yam yam area. It is Salsa M2. Had it few years been very good can get in out out the house luckily got bungalow long before got MND. It gets me around house fits through all doors. Recently though the back rest is bent and they going put new one on. Also I had a new seat pad which is very comfortable. It is full air filled plastic balls.. When getting chair make sure settings are right, the foot plate, back rest back far enough, the hand control far enough forward, the main thing the neck support. Also the most important make sure it’s fast enough beat the grandkids on race. I know when I have lost they switch me off at the back and take control. Best wishes John

Forum Member
    Hello
    A very nice man came from the Preston Mobility Centre and assessed me for a powered wheelchair. It is arriving this week or next week. In the mean time I have been using a mobility scooter outside the house.

The MNDA has done a lot of good work in getting a "Powered Neuro Wheelchair" spec agreed with major suppliers. Make sure you get this spec at time of order - it makes a difference!

https://www.mndassociation.org/getti...chair-service/

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Thanks Everyone,
    You all give great advice. The video was really useful too - thanks Ellie.
    I am now mush more clued up on what to expect.
    Need to start training the dogs to watch their paws...yesterday's yelp was pretty scary!!!!
    Marigold