• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marigold
    • Apr 2024

Voice Banking

HI there,
    I am ready to start the voice banking journey, but don't know where to start.
    My voice has become rather wobbly recently and I know it's time.
    How do I get hold of the software/stuff and how much will it cost?
    Marigold

Hello
    Do voice banking as soon as possible, I left to late. The speech therapist should be organising the voice banking.
    Chris

Comment

• MNDConnect
      Forum Moderator
      • Mar 2016

Hi Marigold,

As Chris says it is important to do voice banking as early as possible to ensure that your voice is strong enough to complete this process.

There are 3 companies that we are aware of that offer voice banking, with the main one we hear people using is ModelTalker. With ModelTalker you have to record 1600 phrases.

To complete this you will need internet access, a laptop/desktop PC and a good headset microphone. If you don't have this equipment your speech therapist can ask for the association to loan this by complete this form. As an association we can also help towards the cost of funding voice banking. If using ModelTalker the company can invoice us directly whereas if using one of the other companies your speech therapist can complete a funding request, to view the form please click here

To view our information sheet on voice banking which explains more about the process please clickhere. A list of other companies offering voice banking can also be found at the back on this sheet.

If you have any further questions about voice banking please do not hesitate to call us on 0808 802 6262. We are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and 7pm to 10.30pm.

Best Wishes,

Adele
      MND Connect
      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Gillette
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2019

I have just started voice banking, using ModelTalker which was recommended by my Speech & Language therapist. However, I saw a comment on another thread on here, under Technology, that Richard Cave at MNDA has been looking at voice banking and thinks that Acapela is worth considering.

I wonder if it is possible for Richard to set out the pros and cons of both ModelTalker and Acapela, please?
        Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

• Terry
          Forum Member
          • May 2012

Hi Gillette,

From what I understand, it is more English, has 350 English phrases and costs similar.

The other has 1600 America phrases and sounds a bit American.

But Richard probably will be able to tell you more.

Love Terry
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Gillette
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2019

Thanks for that, Terry. I had read your comments on another thread and thought I would see what else Richard Cave has to say, before I talk about it with my speech therapist. As my voice is showing signs of weakness, I think 350 sentences are much more doable than 1600.
            Dina

Comment

• Terry
              Forum Member
              • May 2012

Yes that is a good idea,

I did ask the same question to him, about someone else who had done about five hundred phrases and he did say yes.

I would be tempted to try and ring him through Mnda Connect.

Love Terry
              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• speedoftrust27
                Forum Member
                • May 2017

Voice Banking

Originally posted by Gillette View Post
                Thanks for that, Terry. I had read your comments on another thread and thought I would see what else Richard Cave has to say, before I talk about it with my speech therapist. As my voice is showing signs of weakness, I think 350 sentences are much more doable than 1600.
                Hi, I am very happy to help and talk through the options and it may be best to have a chat on the phone or to email me. My number is 07898 721278 [email protected].

thanks
                Richard

Comment

• Gillette
                  Forum Member
                  • Mar 2019

Thank you, Richard. I shall try to ring you on Monday.
                  Dina

Comment

• Lynne K
                    Forum Member
                    • Nov 2017

I had to do Model Talker and use it with Predictive because these were the only ones supported by my speach therapy service. What a challenge to get it to say things in my accent and not American English. But some words and phrases are still very strange so I'm thinking about doing Acapela too. Then I can choose which to use in Predictive. I'll have to fund it myself. My speach isn't as clear as it was when I did Model Talker so I'll have to choose a time of day that I'm clearest to do it.
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Gillette
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2019

Lynne, as I am still at the voice recording stage and the Speech Therapy team haven't paid for anything yet, I thought I would talk to them to see whether they might be willing/able to pay for Acapela instead of ModelTalker. It has to be worth asking, doesn't it?
                      Dina

Comment

• JimWright
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2018

How much dose it cost.

Comment

• Gillette
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by JimWright View Post
                          How much dose it cost.
                          Jim, I couldn't find out the cost when I was searching the Acapela website. It's one of the things I am hoping to ask Richard Cave. I am hoping to speak to him on Monday.
                          Dina

Comment

• Gillette
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2019

Lynne, I have tried to send you a message but am getting a message that you have exceeded your storage. My message won't get through until you have deleted some. I didn't know if you realised what is happening.
                            Dina

Comment

• Ellie
                              Forum Member
                              • Oct 2012

According to MND Scotland (20/07/2018) Acapela costs €2400 (about £2070) plus £120 for an App if it’s to be used on iOS.

Further info: https://www.mndscotland.org.uk/media...king-final.pdf

Love Ellie.
                              ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                              Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
                              X