Thread: How do you go to the loo whilst out in a wheelchair?

Forum Member

How do you go to the loo whilst out in a wheelchair?

Tony can still stand to use a disabled toilet whilst out, but his legs are getting weaker every day and soon when he is out he won't be able to stand up. I have a urinal bottle which we use at home but Tony doesn't see how we could use that with him sat in the wheelchair - any suggestions so we can be prepared? Thanks

Forum Member
    Hello
    The District Nurses can get you conveens, they are useful for wheelchair users. I use a small bag attached to my leg which fits under my trousers. At the evening I have a large bag which enables a good night's sleep.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chrisp; 12th July 2018 at 18:29.

Steve is in wheelchair and uses convenes when we are out as our experience of disabled toilets aren't always good, there isn't always much room to get his chair in as it is quite long. He uses a urinal bottle at home.
    Sue

What about the ladies with this dilemma? Finding transferring getting tougher now!

Forum Member
    There are special “bottles” for both men & women if they get caught short !!!, these can be found on the internet and may be useful for an emergency pee. Peter x

Hi Peter;

Can you send a link or name the bottles.

Love Terry

Hi All....there's info on this topic and other aids at www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk

Boiler68

Forum Member
    I had that same dilemma - able to stand but not walk - and getting weaker. I had several conversations with the GP and the Neurologist and reviewed research papers from the last 10 years (I use Endnote to extract papers from PubMed).

1. I couldn't stand to have a wee - I needed both hands to steady myself - so that was a fail. So next:

2. I couldn't sit in my wheelchair and use a bottle to have a wee - as much as I tried I couldn't wee from that postion. So next:

3. Use a conveen - same result as No 2. So next:

4. Temporary catheter - the one that 'fits in your bits' - long term use not suitable for wheelchair users - long term wear and tear. So next:

5 Suprapubic catheter - ideal for wheelchair users in the long term. My option. It works well but there are a few drawbacks. But on the whole the best thing for me. Importantly - it works for women too.

Regular visits from the District Nurses to keep you healthy.

When out and about I carry a urinal bottle and discreetly empty my day bag when needed.

Kind regards

Chas

Forum Member
    Thanks very much everyone for your advice - this forum is the best

Hi Devonmaid;

There are places with hoists but quite often you have to sign up for them first.

Some hospices might offer that. Even at them they might not be happy for you to use them unsupervised because of insurance reasons.

Our member, M4GK gave us a useful link to places that have that sort of facility:-

http://changingplaces.uktoiletmap.org/

You can look at this thread for further information:-

http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...ighlight=radar

There might be other possibilities such as catheters etc.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.