Thread: My husband has been recently fitted with a PEG

My husband has been recently fitted with a PEG

Can anyone tell me if weeping blood around site of a newly fitted peg is normal. It was done on Tuesday and he came out of hospital on Wednesday. I didn't change dressing myself until today, other days were done at hospital and by a nurse that visited yesterday, so today is the first time I have cleaned and redressed. There was congealed blood and weeping on the white plastic triangle at site of tube, is this normal or cause for concern. It is coming up to weekend now and not sure if I can get anyone to look at it until Monday. Thanks for any advice Amanda

Hi Amanda ;

It is probably normal to have a little bloody coloured for a few days but there should not be much and it might be a bit watered down. Its so long since mine was done that I can't really remember other than mine hurting for a week.

He has had a PEG operation and not a RIG?

Love Terry

Hi Amanda,

Yes, a bit of 'ooze' is normal for the first few days, that's why it's important the site is cleaned properly with water and gauze and it should be dried thoroughly too.

The plastic triangle (fixator) should not be against his skin - there should be 4-5mm between it and the skin.

Hope all goes well for you both.

Have a look at http://mytube.mymnd.org.uk/ which has some good info & videos, but doesn't answer all issues - many of us here have feeding tubes or care for someone with one, so you should always be able to get an answer to a question.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Yes it was a PEG Thank you it doesn't seem so bad tonight, all a bit unnerving when you haven`t dealt with anything like this before. Thanks for replying best wishes Amanda

Thank you for replying, things don't seem so bad tonight thankfully, its all a bit strange to start with isn`t it. Thanks again Amanda

Everything is hard to start with Amanda ;

You often wish that you paid more attention and asked questions.

But you are human and its so much to take in.

It's good to hear that it is improving, how does he feel about it?

Love Terry

He has excepted its necessity for the future, thankfully doesn't need to use it yet but knows whilst he is relatively well it was the best time to do it. Hopefully it wont be need for some time, Amanda