Thread: Penalised for eating and toileting too slowly!!!

Forum Member

Penalised for eating and toileting too slowly!!!

I am absolutely fuming! Currently in a dispute with MET Parking Services Ltd who have refused my appeal and wish to charge me 100 for overstaying our welcome by 10 minutes in a retail car park in Leicester (90 minutes was the maximum allowed). We went with our daughter to the McDonalds there. Her student accommodation is not big enough to get Dad's wheelchair in so we always have to find somewhere offsite to have a conversation/spend time with her. So, we parked at McDonalds in a disabled bay with the badge clearly displayed on the dashboard and no doubt the cameras all around clocked me struggling to get him in and out of the car into his wheelchair. That in itself is a 10 minute job each time. Now it takes my husband a LONG TIME to eat but so what if it takes him over an hour and not minutes to finish a quarterpounder, fries and drink!!!! He has bulbar issues which affect his speech and he has to chew every bite a million times to avoid choking. He also tries to feed himself when he can although this is a major issue for him as he has very limited arm movement; barely none. After the meal was finished, he needed the toilet. We must have been in there nearly half an hour. What the hell are we supposed to do? I could cry at the injustice of it all. I am almost wishing to go to court over this to highlight the difficulties MND sufferers face. How can a time limit be put eating and toileting? So..I am refusing to pay. Anyone else had these difficulties when out and being penalised in this way? So disappointed that these companies are heartless. Anyway, the fight continues.....

Boiler68

I feel for you Boiler ;

The same thing happened to me in a motorway service station.

We met some people there selling a wheelchair. We bought it and decided to eat which took a long time. Needed the loo which was down stairs. The lift was faulty so we ended up leaving after 3:15.

Got fine in post.

Some things need to be done to help us with servear problems, a extra time allowance should be made for those who have extreme difficulties with, getting in and out of the car, eating and or going to the toilet.

It would be hard to administer.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Boiler
    It is a terrible thing and they should be more lenient. Is it a private company that owns the car park or council ?
    If it is a private company they have no legal rights .

I once had one of these parking fines before I had MND , and they threatened court proceedings I was so scared that I paid it straight away . Later I googled the company and found this out . Only the police and council have the legal rights to fine you . I should check it out if I was you and refuse to pay I have been told that they send you a lot of threating letters but it will cost them too much to go to court ,and because you have a good cause would lose

Love Chris

Forum Member
    Hi Terry

Sorry to hear you've experienced similar. I guess I thought we had 3 hours with the badge being displayed. Anyway, I'm not paying it. Income support doesn't permit I'm afraid so watch this space! I'll let you know the outcome...
    Thanks for your reply.
    Boiler

Forum Member
    Hi Chris
    Well they're not the police or the council so I will look into it further..
    Thanks for the advice! There was a notice board with tiny writing but I thought that was for shoppers on the retail park and not customers of McDonalds AND I thought a blue badge allowed 3 hours. I'm not paying it a) on principle and will highlight it if it goes to court and b) funds do not allow being on income support and the meagre carers allowance!
    I will come back once I have an update. Thankyou...

Boiler

Hi Boiler;

Good luck, if you want to give me your appeal number and a email address of the company, I will try to explain the difficulties as well.

The parking rules have to be clear and somewhere that you will see them. Even people without the pressures that we have fail to read things correctly sometimes but carer/drivers have so many extra things to think about and do.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Hello Terry

Thanks for your support; I appreciate it very much. Sorry I took a week to reply but have been a bit down. Apparently the next step for me is to make an appeal to POPLA, the Independent Appeals Service at www.popla.co.uk with a unique verification code that MET Parking Services Ltd have sent me. Going to do this tonight. I'm sure you have enough on your plate so I'll sort it. I did follow Chris' advice and found out that there are forums such as these that particularly highlight that MET are pretty much a law unto themselves. I am not worried about it because I hope that this issue will be highlighted as I explained before.

Best wishes,

Boiler
    Last edited by Boiler68; 27th July 2018 at 21:27. Reason: extra info

Forum Member
    There isn't actually an email address on their paperwork so everything that I upload on POPLA is going in the post, recorded to MET too

x

Best of luck x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

I understand you being low, Boiler;

This ontop of other things are too much to cope with sometimes and you need time out.

Good luck with your appeal and I hope POPLA comes up trumps for us.

Love Terry