Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss

Forum Member

Hair loss

Hi, has anyone experienced hair loss with this horrendous disease or is it just another kick in the teeth? Thank you.

I've not had that symptom thankfully. Sorry to hear that you have. Could it be caused by stress? Lynne

Hi Jaxx,

I lost my hair years ago so I can’t blame MND. I am losing teeth rapidly so it might be to blame or maybe just the aging process. On a serious note you may want to check out your situation as it may have nothing to do with MND.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hello Jaxx. I was also going to ask about hair loss and found this thread you started in July. I am experiencing hair loss when I brush my hair and I think that there is more loss than there should be. I wondered if it was a side effect of any medication I am taking but have checked in the leaflets with the medication and it is not. I think that in my case it could be due to the stress and anxiety caused by having MND. Hopefully the hair loss was temporary for your daughter and that it will be temporary for me too. Kayleigh x
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.
    Trying to take one day at a time ..... but it's not easy!

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh, my daughter saw her gp and was told it wasn’t connected to MND but was some kind of alopecia due to stress, over the months I’ve noticed the patches are no longer smooth but looks like hair may be growing back although to her disgust it is white as she’s only 34, so we are hoping this continues and it covers the bald patches, although she still continues to lose a lot in the shower and while brushing, do you have any actual bald patches, hopefully it will not come to that. Good luck.

Hello Jaxx.

Thank you for replying to my post about hair loss. You are very kind taking the time to go into so much detail. I do not have any bald patches but I think that there is definitely too much hair coming out when I brush it. As your daughter's GP has said that hair loss is not a symptom of MND, I think that mine must be due to the shock, stress and anxiety caused by having MND. I never used to be an anxious person and have never suffered from stress before but the nightmare of having this horrific disease is causing me anxiety.

I am a young-ish mum of a teenager and I am so sorry that your daughter has MND and at such a young age. I hope that her hair continues to grow back. Your daughter, you and your family are in my thoughts.

Going on this forum is the first time that I have been in contact with MND sufferers or their carers and it has made me feel not so alone in dealing with the challenges faced every day due to this devastating disease.

Thank you again for replying to my post.

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 15th November 2018 at 15:02.
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh, this is the place to be if you need to talk as people are so knowledgeable about all things MND, it is so hard to accept and wish everyday the news would say there is a breakthrough, my daughter had only just had a baby when the symptoms began, so can’t enjoy the joy of being a new Mum again her daughter is 9 who is also suffering immensely with her Mums diagnosis.

Thank you Jaxx. My heart goes out to you and your family. It is such a tough and totally unfair situation to be in. Somehow we have to get through each day the best we can (especially for the sake of the younger ones in the family who need some sort of 'normality' and routine to their day). It is such a heartbreaking situation that I still go into shock about it all sometimes. Sending love and hugs to you all (special hugs to you daughter and her precious children). The support that we all give each other is invaluable and you must make sure that you look after yourself as well. Thinking of you all. Take care. Kayleigh xx

Forum Member
    Thank you Kayleigh your thoughts are very much appreciated and love to you and yours.

Many thanks Jaxx. Kayleigh x