Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight jaw

Forum Member

Tight jaw

My jaws feel really stiff & painful. Is this common as Im not sure! Its not even after ive been talking or eating, it happens at any time.

Forum Member
    Hello Denise.

My jaws go into cramp, right out of the blue. My teeth clench and my jaws feel swollen from ear to ear. I take lorazepam and that works pretty instantaneously I take 0.50 mgs and if it is really bad 1 mg

It is all to do with reflexes

See if you can get some prescribed by GP or neurologist

This is such a strange disease!

Hope this is useful

Joycie xx

Forum Member
    Hi Denise,
    Afraid is quite common with mnd.
    My jaw has been stiff for ages. Also, when I yawn, my jaw and tongue cramp together, just for a few seconds, but quite scary.
    Just before my speech went altogether, my jaw would lock, preventing me trying to speak.
    I used to take Clonazipam but didn't help, so I don't take it anymore. But you could try what Joycie said, lorazepam, may help you.
    Mags x

Hi Denise, I have what I call a big yawn. It happens at any time. My speech therapist told me one of things with MND. She was OK about it as it means you also take a deep breath. I try not too close my mouth as have bitten my tongue a few times. I will see my Consultant in January and ask more about it.
    Jay Tee

Hi;

Stiff jaws, big almost dislocating yawns and biting of tongues and the inside of the mouth and lips are all very common with Mnd.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thankyou joycie. My doesnt cramp it is just very painful & stiff.

Forum Member
    It is very uncomfortable. Im going to addenbrooks next week so ill mention it nxt week.

Forum Member
    Thanks terry.

Forum Member
    This MND of mine has a mind of its own

At least once or twice a day, particularly early evening, i just get really hot, throw all my clothes off, get Peter to turn the heating off. It is as if my body temperature has completely lost the plot

Then ten minutes or so later, my jaws clamp up, my teeth clench, I feel shaky and shivery - and I am reaching for the laporezepam. So he is turning the heating up again!

It is not pleasant at all.

Does anyone else experience anything similar?

Much love
    Joycie X

Hi Joycie;

I get really hot when coughing or struggling to do things. In the past I've also had a build up of heat as if I'm going to faint, in fact I probably would if a fan is not placed in front of me for ten min or so. I didn't really get the jaw etc trouble afterwards or feel cold.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.