Thread: Dry mouth

Dry mouth

Hi. Anyone have any tips on anything which would help a dry mouth in the night. Fed up with waking up with mouth stuck together and having to have a drink regularly throughout the night!

Hi Pink;

I am thinking that you don't use a breathing machine in the night.

Dry mouth and throat is normally caused by the mouth being open a lot during the night. It can happen with Mnd.

You could try some snore remedies like a elastic thing that holds your mouth shut. There was also a lady here that used to tape her mouth shut to stop dribbling. A bit hot to try the elastic thingy.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Sorry to hear this Pink - another thing you can do without

I used to use a Biotene gel which was for overnight use - at that stage I didn't have a BiPAP and my mouth would fall open in bed due to weakened jaw muscles. I don't think you use a BiPAP overnight now??

Some meds cause dry mouth - it may be worth checking if any you take at night have such a side effect.

If your mouth doesn't close fully when you sleep, there are chin straps you can get (Oh yes!! Very sexy!!) But it's worth trying the gel or maybe someone else has another remedy to recommend.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Ha ha yes the chin straps sound great! I'll give them a go though. What are they called and where from?

Search for 'CPAP Chin Strap' or 'Snoring Chin Strap' - that big online store sells them too.

See if your local pharmacy has that Biotene overnight gel for tonight maybe? Worth trying x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Thanks Ellie I'll get husband to go and see if he can get the gel. Thanks for the links as well Terry x

Hi Ellie just discovered I've already got the biotene gel. Used it a couple of times but it wasn't very successful. I'll give it another go.

Hi. I was waking in the night with a mouth like sandpaper and I tried ("after reading something on here) taping my mouth together. I put two pieces of steri strip either side of my nose to tape my lips together. It looks wierd but works. I've been doing this every night for about 3 months now. I told my neurologist who laughed and suggested rubbing inside of mouth with ghee. I haven't tried it yet but it's another to try.
    Hope this helps.

Hi Cath;

That's two women that have used steri strips to seal there mouth, do make sure that you can take it off easily if needed.

But I'm all for it, trying to get my wife to do the same. LOL

Love Terry