Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling helpless after Mum recently diagnosed with MND

Forum Member
    Thanks - I have the children’s booklets which were really helpful. MNDA recommended having a booklet each for my children which was a great idea as they can refer to them when they want to. A really useful resource.

Similar here. When I went to an MND open day in Salford one of the staff brought me a couple of books to give to my granddaughters. My grandson was too young at the time but he can look with his mum (my daughter) when he is curious about some or other subject related to my ALS/MND. Lynne

Forum Member
    Welcome, I really feel for you, dealing with a hoarder must have been hard enough to deal with on its own. Your in the right place. I was diagnosed just over a week back, everyone here has been amazing.

Hi Rainbow;

It good to hear how some of the booklets have been so useful.

I do wonder if you're still making more progress with your mum.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Sadly not making any progress with Mum. She seems oblivious to the need to sort her house out and whilst saying she really wanted to do things at her own pace it turns out that that means doing nothing. I have offered to help and went round again today but she won’t let me or anyone else do anything. It’s still an absolute mess and makes it virtually impossible for her to move around.

Ironically she was given a wheeled seat trolly to help with walking but she can’t use it in the house as there isn’t any since wide enough for it.

I really hoped that she’d realise she cannot go on living with her house in such a state and after so many health care professionals have stressed the urgency. I can’t exactly hire skips and throw everything out with her refusing to accept help but I’ll have to clear it one day. I’d much rather her let me help go through things with her now rather than after she’s gone but I really cannot see her letting me help.

Not sure what I can do...

Forum Member
    Hi Rainbow
    I really feel for you, maybe you could get a psychotherapist involved . The only thing is with that you will have a long wait on NHS and that's something you don't have. Maybe if asked the GP or neurologist to refer her .

It is a difficult one and not something I've personally experienced, just seen the TV programmes and they have experienced people working with them

I wonder if the MNDA would be able to point you in the right direction. I would give the Help line a ring they will understand the urgency

Good luck and best wishes
    Love Chris

Hi Rainbow;

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow13 View Post
    wheeled seat trolly to help with walking but she can’t use it in the house as there isn’t any since wide enough for it. and makes it virtually impossible for her to move around.
    What does your mum think that the next is going to happen.

It is an impossible position for you and your mum could well end up soon moving somewhere else.

Try to do what Chris suggests.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.