Thread: Genetic

Forum Member

Genetic

Hi all,

Iím new here so first of all - hello and love to all.

My partnerís father was diagnosed with MND about 3 years ago, incredibly sad for the whole family. It is also a genetic form of MND - this is becoming a real struggle for me. I feel like weíre just waiting for my partner to get MND. Is there anyone else in the same situation? Iím looking for advice on how not to become overwhelmed and anywhere I can go for support.

Thank you.

Hi Fiona89.
    It is a 50/50 chance whether your partner has or not inherited the familial gene whichever one it is. Familial ALS/MND is 10% of all ALS cases.
    Even if he has the gene it may not lead to ALS. You have to enjoy your life without constant worry while all is well. Look into the disease and any research that is currently happening for your knowledge if it doesn't cause excess panic. Take care.. TIANDB

Forum Member
    I can empathise with how you are feeling as my Mum has been recently diagnosed. I too worry about the future for my two children and for me. However as TIANDB states, just because there is a familial link does not automatically mean that your partner will get MND. If you are worried then why not call the MNDA helpline for advice. There may also be a local support group where you can discuss your worries with others who are feeling the same way. None of us knows how much time we have left and despite the fact that I am a natural worrier I have decided to live life to the full rather than worry about things that may never happen. It’s natural to worry about your partner but try to focus on today and not let it spoil things.

Well said Rainbow. Taking each day as it comes seems to be what most of us on here do. Lynne

Forum Member
    Hi Fiona. Often, the things we worry about never happen. Its the things that floor us on some random Tuesday afternoon that does the job. Not that you should worry about that. Just get on with your life. Take each day and enjoy it.