Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James's Intro

Forum Member
    Hi James and welcome..its good that you've joined. I'm a carer for my husband (ex footballer) and we are in our 11th-12th year of this journey. He doesn't talk about his mnd to me much - we just muddle through and take every day as it comes. I'm sure you will find a lot of support here and answers to any questions you have xxx

Forum Member
    ```James/Boiler68:

Welcome James from another footballer and squash player. Boiler:
    Your hubby has been going a long time.
    Is his diagnosis PLS or ALS?

regards

Charles

Forum Member
    Hi Charles..hubby has ALS with bulbar issues. Legs still working well enough to walk with help (I walk backwards holding his hands as we face each other) but very unsteady at times. Sometimes we just about make it from living room to bedroom (15 steps) before it's too much. Arms are very very weak- he can tap on laptop and can hold a fork but the length of time it takes him to eat is excruciating to watch so when he's very tired (and if he'll let me) I fork the food to his mouth. Even this takes a long time because he has to chew very carefully and absolutely cannot rush it. We've had a few occasions when food has gone down the wrong way and it's horrible and scary to see as I can't help him. Refuses to have a PEG. Sniff tests and FVCs always good. He giggles uncontrollably at times, speech is slurred and strangers don't understand him but I think (he thinks) his background in sport has helped as his legs were very muscly and strong and seem to be the least compromised. He also has a very strong faith and is very interested in life and living and doing the best he can every day. He also has very good support in me and the children (30, 24, 20 and 17).. best wishes xxxx

Forum Member
    Welcome James - i am new too but people on here are very supportive & there is lot's of knowledge / experience here to share

All the best

Hunter

Hi James
    Welcome to the forum. I think most people stalk before they pluck up the courage to join in. I am a carer for my Husband who has diagnosed four years now.
    Sue x

Hi James,
    I did a bit of stalking.... But glad I joined the gang!!
    It took about 4 years of lots of test etc before I had my diagnosis, Frontal temporal Dementia (early onset) with MND.
    Well, I hope we talk again, theres a lot of help and understanding on this site
    Take care
    Chebs

Good afternoon James,

And welcome to the forum for me too - it's a really good place the mutual learning - lots of expertise in different matters here I'm pleased to say is this has helped me a lot as I decay slowly

Best wishes

Andy
    Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.

Welcome James

For me, this forum is a wonderful source of kindness, understanding, information and inspiration. Amazing people post here.

Never be afraid to ask.

Doug