Thread: Leg problems-advice needed please

Leg problems-advice needed please

Hi All..well I feel like I've jinxed my husband. This week I've been talking about how strong his legs are still after 10 years + on this journey but this evening his legs gave way under him and he crumpled to the floor. Luckily me and our daughter broke the fall as we were guiding him to the car at the time. This was completely out of the blue but today he's been wearing a back support and said his back felt like it wasn't aligned properly. Any advice please? Is this it now for his legs? He's been a bit wobbly since and wants to use his chair. Will this happen more often? Would like to hear if others have experienced the same thing. Going to contact OT tomorrow to discuss hoist. He won't like it but we need to do it sooner rather than later..
    Thanks.
    Boiler

Hi Boiler,

Was he tired or rushing and a bit stressed?

Get him to have a good think about what started the collapse, it is quite often hard to know what happened. It is best to get things in place like hoists etc now but hopefully you won't need them much.

If he is not used to wearing a back support then maybe he didn't allow for it and then fell.

I had trouble with my knees giving away and dropping down a inch or two six years ago and a few times since. When that first happened I needed help and a hoist. My knees seem quite good now and I have not used the hoist this year.

It's hard to say but get prepared and take each day as it comes.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Boiler

Sometimes my knees giveaway when I'm using my rollator or transferring into the car. It only takes a slight lapse in my concentration. I would suggest always park on flat even ground, slopes spell danger. No chatting and 110% focus!
    The fall Will have shaken his confidence, hopefully he will get it back.
    Take care x

Hi Newbie;

I know I always keep on about this, a bit of weight under the seat makes a rollator a lot more stable when so walking is not stable. I use a gallon of water, no don't just tip it in under the seat, use a 5 Ltr container. The more weight the better. I also walk with the brakes on sliding the rear wheels.

LOve Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 22nd August 2018 at 18:52.

Quite right Terry. I always keep the brakes on too.
    Go sl.....owly!

Hi Terry and Newbie

He's much better today. He wasn't stressed yesterday or in any rush really but hadn't slept well and said his back just went into spasm. I spoke to his consultant today and he said to speak to OT about a brace...hubby not keen but we'll see. He's been in his powerchair a lot today - think he's a bit wary of it happening again. Didn't get a chance to ring OT today-we actually want to change OT as current one isn't very proactive. I spoke to hubby about getting a hoist in just in case and he didn't put up a fight! Thank you

Strike while the iron is hot, Boiler,

Push the OT, to get something urgent as you need it because of your back.

Good luck, Terry

I've just changed my OT. My community nurse requested it for me as I felt a bit awkward about it. I'm so glad I did, So much more could have been done to help me in the past few months.
    It's so important to have someone who is proactive.
    Good to hear hubby is much better.x