Thread: FMT program

Forum Member

FMT program

I have recently started an FMT program in Bangkok. I had previously tried Stemcell treatment twice to no avail. There are two ways to undergo the treatment one is via enema direct to the gut and the other is orally with frozen capsules. I have opted for the former which is half the price at $5300 and lasts 10 days. I have posted some info below and welcome comment. I will keep you all informed as regards my progress if any. A ketogenic diet is advised also.
    Best wishes Jerry

FMT stands for "fecal microbiota transplant" it is also called HMT for human microbiota transplant. In the case of ALS the goal is to re-balance the gut flora. It means the proportion between different types of bacteria in your gut. As mentioned before, ALS patients are affected by dysbiosis (unbalanced gut flora) and it has been shown than in many progressive neurological conditions the same phenomenon happens. There are many studies showing that the intestinal flora (gut bacteria) is communicating with the brain through the gut-brain axis and that certain gut bacteria can trigger some pathological effects in the brain through the release of neurotoxins. Rebalancing the gut flora may stop this phenomenon as well as improve the immune response (the immune system needs a balanced gut flora to function properly).
    We do not have the complete picture about the correlation between the gut microbiome and ALS but we have had 2
    stories of patients improving dramatically after FMT treatment (one story from Dr. Thomas Borody, who is the most knowledgeable expert in the world when it comes to the gut microbiome, and the other one was from the friend of a previous patient). That is why we hope that you will be able to improve as well.

Accumulating clinical- and scientific research-based evidence is driving our increased awareness of the significance of the human microbiome (HM) to the healthy and homeostatic operation of the human central nervous system. ALS belongs to neurodegenerative disease characterized by the loss of motor neurons, and the prevalence rate for ALS is substantially lower at 3.9/100000 in the United States (Mehta, 2015). To date, the pathogenesis of ALS remains unclear and is likely multifactorial, and the pathophysiology of ALS may be related to the gastrointestinal tract. The gut microbiota, which is also referred to as the second brain, may affect brain activity through the gut-microbiota–brain axis under both physiological and pathological conditions, and accumulating evidence suggests that microbiota changes in the gastrointestinal tract of individuals possessed strong connection with neurological diseases and specifically, neurodegenerative diseases. In this study, high-throughput sequencing technology was used to compare the microbiota in intestinal tract of healthy people and ALS patients."
    "In summary, we found that host microbiota were markedly different in health and disease, and the overgrowing of pathogens and reduction of probiotic organisms in intestines of ALS patients might up-regulated or down-regulated the production of NO, GABA, SCFAs, and LPS, which eventually increased the pathogenesis of ALS, and the ALS conversely aggravated the imbalances of intestinal microbiota, causing a vicious circle for host health. In the present study, we provide basic data to clarify the key bacteria during disease occurring, which may assist our understanding and treatment of ALS by inhibiting the growth of pathogens and enhancing the number of probiotics."
    Last edited by Jer780; 24th August 2018 at 04:49. Reason: Spelling mistake

Forum Member
    Hello
    Keep us updated on your progress. Good luck
    Chris

This is so very interesting I was diagnosed with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth less than one year before the rapid acceleration of my symptoms they got into fast gear immediately after I went onto an all liquid diet to fix it.

Forum Member
    Good luck this seems really promising. I have seen research linking autism and Parkinson’s too with the altered gut biome. One theory posits bacterial/fungal neurotoxins travelling cephalad via the Vagus nerve.
    Keep us posted

Forum Member
    Well guys 5 months since I had the treatment and despite a very encouraging blip of 2 days where I felt fantastic with loads of energy I have relapsed irto steady deterioration. There have been follow ups requiring fecal samples and questionnaires so in comparison to the Stemcell companies I’d used before they were a great improvement.
    I’m due to go for an evaluation in a couple of weeks and will update then.
    Regards Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Sorry to hear that it hasn't seamed to help. Thank you for trying different things and reporting the details so well.

I have a friend who used to recently work in that area so if there is anything that you don't understand may be she can help.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry much appreciated

Sorry you didn't find this helpful

Hi Jerry

As others have said thank you for updating us.

And the very best wishes for a slow progression.

I'm interested as the model that I have been presented with for motor neurone disease development involves there being several steps between start of internal difficulties (some damage to motor neurones) and presentation of physical symptoms.

It is apparently theorised that those with a genetic heritage are already at the next to top top step whereas those of us with no familial linkage have to go up (or down :-) ) several steps before we get physical symptoms.

And from what I've been hearing the "wrong" gut bacteria may be connected with one or more of those steps.

Oh for an early diagnostic tool that can diagnose before physical symptoms manifest themselves!!
    Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. Limb onset (arm) sporadic ALS/MND.
    MND hitting - now 50% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including left shoulder