Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Housing

Housing

I have applied/bid for a tiny council one bedroomed semi detached adapted bungalow with a wet-room. Unfortunately after an adult lifetime of owning our own properties we were forced into renting for no fault of our own. So we cannot adapt the 3 bedrooned house that we are currently renting. The council will only let me bid on one bed properties. A local housing association agreed to put us on their list for a 2 bedroomed bungalow but they don't have any available and said they may not for over three years. I cannot wait that long as I'm struggling now with the stairs in this house, not just for getting upstairs but for getting into the bathroom and going down into the back bedroom. If we are successful in getting this tiny bungalow then it's going to be a huge challenge to downsize quickly. If we get it I will buy a large shed/summer house for extra space. I'm off to bed now, just felt like sharing that before I hit the hay. Lynne

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne
    Good luck with the bid . How long before you know if you are successful ?
    All the best
    love Chris

Hi Lynn, hope you are successful in your bid, please let me know because my wife is also struggling in the same way as yourself, so it won't be long before we are in a similar situation. I'm hoping that the council actually take into account the urgency in which you need this accommodation. Good luck and fingers crossed for you, Tim and mary

Hi Lynn, hope you are successful in your bid, please let me know because my wife is also struggling in the same way as yourself, so it won't be long before we are in a similar situation. I'm hoping that the council actually take into account the urgency in which you need this accommodation. Good luck and fingers crossed for you, Tim and mary

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne,

That must be so stressful for you. I really hope you find out that you have been successful soon. I wonder if your GP or OT could contact the council to explain the urgency and the safety aspect.
    Good Luck
    Love Debbie x

Thank you all for your kind words. I will hear is successful with my bid near the end of next week. The council only notifies successful bidders. Good luck Tim for you and your wife finding something suitable soon. My OT contacted the council OT weeks ago to stress my needs and to support my wish for a 2 bedroomed property on the grounds that I have so much equipment already and I will eventually need more, such as an NHS bed, breathing equipment that could be noisy and interfere with my husbands sleep. He would need a separate bedroom. The council OT hasn't bothered to reply to either me or my OT. They don't seem to get it. Lynne

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne

What a nightmare ! As if you haven't enough to cope with. I know it isn't easy but I would keep contacting your OT and your council OT for an answer.

Hope you get some answers soon
    Love Debbie x

I had a reply from my OT today. She told me that she has spoken with the woman who had said that she has details of a 2 bedroomed bungalow that would suit us. She informed my OT that the renovations are not quite ready and I'm the first priority. That's taken quite a bit of stress away from me. I'm hoping that we'll be settled into our new place before Xmas. But I'm trying not to get too excited because I don't want to be dissappointed. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Oh Lynne, I do hope you do get the bungalow and are settled before Christmas. It will be a tremendous weight off your mind .
    Fingers crossed a little while longer then

Love Chris

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne,

MNDA connect can help with a letter developed specifically for housing offices..it really stresses the urgency and the seriousness of the disease (I asked for it in a sealed envelope so I didn’t have to read it! ) My review was today with that letter, fingers crossed.. and I wish you lots of luck with the two bed too, I’m glad you have someone on your side xxxx

Love Lisa