Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Housing

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne
    I know you must have been disappointed that it wasn't a bungalow, but if you were to refuse it you could be waiting a while for one to turn up . I am sure it will turn out to be ok . It is a big upheaval moving but it will be worth it !

I wish you all the best for the move

Love Chris

Hi Lynne
    Sounds an ideal place once the little issues have been sorted. We have both wooden and carpeted floors. Steve’s power chair does move on the carpet but unfortunately the one in the lounge has moved and wrinkled and has pulled out of door strip. We are deciding wether to take it up. I agree it is more cosy but not practical.
    Sue x

Lynne, it's a hard choice all right - carpet v hard flooring - and it's up to you. I'd hate for you to spend lots on a carpet only to ruin it!

It's not only about wheelchairs - my carers find it harder to push my hoist and shower chair on carpet than on tiles (which I'll address soon)

But you're the one who'll be living in your house, not us!!!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    We've been mulling this over for months! Recently my thoughts have been - if you are going to fall, it's better to have a softer surface to land on and also now that I'm frequently dropping things, there are fewer breakages on carpet. However, conversely, it's easier to mop up spill ages on a hard floor. My current preference is for carpet tiles.

Hi Lisa and all. We signed and got keys for our 2 bedroomed ground floor flat over a week ago. My hubby has been painting and we got our new cooker fitted. Carpets going down a week tomorrow to give some time for the painting to be finished. We bought all curtains and blinds. Moving on 19th November. My OT is getting me a shower chair, organising grab rails for the shower area of wet-room and ordering me a rise and recline chair from the wonderful MND Association people. Everything is coming together at last. It feels good. A weight off my mind. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 9th November 2018 at 09:21.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    It all sounds good Lynne, you will soon have it lovely and homely

Yea true Shrew. Thanks, Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

So pleased for you Lynne.

More comfortable, safer and less stressful living - exactly what you need !

Your husband and OT are great.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Thanks Ellie, you are spot on. Lynne xx

My husband had a shower in our new wet-room after he finished painting today. He said the water puddled and then went under the door into the hall. We have new carpets going down next Friday. This is a worry. He noticed that the floor is uneven. What a disappointment. I doubt that the council will do anything about it. We'll have to improvise something. Lynne