Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Housing

You're being very polite Lynne, saying it's "disappointing" - I'd be furious at such shoddy workmanship.

I know you don't want to hear this but, it's best to complain loudly to the Council and insist the issue is rectified *immediately*. Yes, it will be disruptive, but honestly, the current situation is unacceptable... Would it help if the OT rang for you?

The slope of the hidden shower tray and/or tiling into the drain is insufficient, so the water won't clear. I spent 10 days in a newly refurbished hospice room with the same issue - water from shower flooding part of the bedroom - and it infuriated both me and the staff and had to be redone to give the proper gradient to allow for full immediate water drainage. Nothing could be left on the floor or it'd get saturated.

It will drive you and hubby mad Lynne if you accept it as it is, lots of towels will be needed as flood barriers every single time the shower is used - it's onerous, not to mention the impact water will have on your brand new carpet.

I'm really sorry for you Lynne and also for your husband who has worked so hard making the place perfect for you both

Big hug,

Love Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 10th November 2018 at 15:23.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Thanks Ellie. The water puddle was still on the wet-room floor today from my husbands shower yesterday. I'm going to ring the Council OT tomorrow and see if she can get in touch with whoever can get it sorted out. Thanks for your explanation of the hospice shower area. What you explained is how I've been thinking the consequences would be. Fingers crossed for something to be done quickly. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne,
    Hope it's sorted soon. You want everything right before you move in
    Sheila

Forum Member
    Hi, I hope you get sorted soon too.
    Just a couple of ideas that we do to keep the shower clear...
    Regularly remove hair and bits from the trap and stick the shower nozzle down it.
    Rig up a shower curtain on a sprung rail to keep the water from spreading too far.
    Use a mop and bucket immediately after so that excess water is kept to a minimum. Chenille type mop is best I find.
    Hope this helps, sounds like the trap may be blocked or it isn't running into the drain properly.
    Best wishes Fru x
    Last edited by Fru; 12th November 2018 at 12:26. Reason: Extra thought

Forum Member
    Oh Lynne,
    So sorry about this as your new home sounded ideal for you and I know how patient you've been.

I dont know if it helps but when we had our bathroom converted I asked why it was going to take two weeks. They said it was to change the floor so the water drained away instantly otherwise it is unsafe. If you use a shower wheelchair the person pushing could slip on the wet floor and if you are able to walk then you could slip. The company that fit it were recommended by the council and were very clued up in planning for future needs. I really hope they sort this for you soon so you can get in and be settled.

Our youngest son , who lives with us has history in flooding bathrooms and even he can't manage it !

Good Luck with everything. It's such a shame that everything is so difficult when you have enough to cope with.
    Love Debbie x

Hello Lynne,

Just wondering how you are getting on in your new home. I hope that the move into your new flat went smoothly and that you are pleased with your new carpets etc. Hopefully, your OT has been helpful about sorting out the problem with the wetroom.

Kayleigh x
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.
    Trying to take one day at a time ..... but it's not easy!

Hi Kayleigh. Thanks for asking. The move went ok but still lots of boxes to sort out. My OT doesn't know about the problem on the wet-room but I'll let her know. It's much easier for me here. We bought new Ikea wardrobes because they were fitted in our previous place. Mine has been built and I've filled it but my husbands hasn't because it wouldn't fit in our bedroom. He's going to put it in the other bedroom but can't yet because no room until the boxes have been sorted out. He's living out of suitcases.
    Deb, Fri and Shrew, thank you for your suggestions. My husband made a windows rubber edged wiper into something that can be used to move water. I can't use it. I roll up a thick bath mat and sit on the shower chair (that my OT brought) close to the shower head. This works to stop water going out the door but the bathmat gets sodden. I've not heard back from the Council about this. Their idea to make the non slip surface of the wet-room like a sunken small shower tray is stupid. The floor ought appear flat but all sides should slightly tilt towards the drain. Then water would find its way. Lynne

Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 8th December 2018 at 16:26.
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hello Lynne,

I am glad that you are getting settled into your new home. It always takes time to get everything unpacked and placed where you want it to be. We have to be kind to ourselves about not being able to do things as quickly as we used to - these days, I find that the art of delegation is very handy!

The main thing is that you were able to get moved in well before Christmas. Will it be the first Christmas for the beautiful baby you are pictured with?

Hopefully, you are finding that the wetroom is ok to use, despite the problem with the water not draining as well as it should.

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 8th December 2018 at 17:07.
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.
    Trying to take one day at a time ..... but it's not easy!

Congrats on your new home Lynne & hubby!!

I wonder if putting a basin on the floor under your shower chair to catch some of the water would help lessen the flooding?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    glad ur in Lynne, you will soon be sorted im sure x