Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carers Assessment

Forum Member

Carers Assessment

Hi everybody
    Have other carers had their carer assessment completed? If you have, who completed it?
    Thanks
    Marge

MND is not an incurable disease ,it is an underfunded disease.

Hi Marge;

I think when we done forms etc, things were different and we completed the forms with a little advice.

The hospice sometimes have a person that can help complete it and citizens advice also will know someone to help you. Possibility that the Mnda can send someone around to help as well.

Sorry that I don't have any up to date info.

Love terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry
    I am not sure if the lack of responses actually mean most carers have not had an assessment.I haven't by the way, nearly a year on now.
    I would also like to know how many people(when diagnosed)felt they were treated in accordance with NICE 2016 guidelines?
    Thanks
    Marge

Hi Marge,
    No idea about the NICE guidelines... should I have?
    I suspect I haven’t been managed with regard to any guidance (except rubbish ones!!!)

Also no idea about carers assessment but I am about to embark on that whole journey. So would appreciate advice here too!!

Marigold

Steve has been diagnosed 4 years and I had carers assessment done which our Social Care OT organised after about 1 year. They have since done another assessment done over the phone. They asked questions about how many hours I care for my husband and what things I have to do. I received 150 each time to spend on whatever I wanted. They said they could arrange grants for household items e.g. Washing machine if it broke, and sitters to come and stay with him if I needed to go out. Not used any of these services yet.

I lost my state carers allowance benefit when I reached state pension age because you can't have both!

Sue

Forum Member
    Hi Marigold

There are indeed NICE guidelines relating to diagnosis and the subsequent care that should be offered.Our experience was totally rubbish and we never quite recovered from that.The carers assessment is,I understand something that should be offered to carers aged over 18 yrs,and Adult Social Services should complete the assessment.We have had one visit from a Social Worker,who mainly focused on how little they could help, other than saying if they had received a referral earlier they perhaps could have helped with the cost of the clos-o-mat.Not so helpful after the event.But other than that I have heard nothing from them.
    And yes Sueb,you do lose your carers allowance at state pension age, apparently you no longer need that extra financial support!!!!
    I am really interested to know of other peoples experiences.It seems to vary such a great deal.The NICE guidelines are very clear and unambiguous but I am not sure that the Neurologists actually read them.
    Marigold,I do not know your personal circumstances but if somebody is helping you with daily tasks(at least 35 hrs a week)and you are in receipt of PIP then they can claim carers allowance.Not much money really but once you are receiving carers allowance your NI contributions are credited, which is really important for the new state pension changes.Check the NICE guidelines,they are on the website.

My husband is my carer and he works full time. He is soon dropping to 3 days a week to care for me. He is withdrawing his pension so we can afford to do it. He would like to retire completely but we can't afford it. I always thought that you can only claim carers allowance if you earn under 100 a week and even then they take it off your pip allowance?

Forum Member
    Hi Pink
    You can claim carers allowance even if you work but given that you pay tax on it, you probably won't gain much.I no longer go out to work and claim.I could not claim until the PIP was in place for my husband.It is not removed from his PIP(that is payable to him not me.It is not means tested)
    I claim the carers allowance because I need my NI credited.I will not have sufficient contribution years if I did not.New pension changes mean you need 35 yrs of NI not 30.

Forum Member
    And I have still not had any carer say they have had a carers assessment completed.
    Does that mean nobody has had one completed?

The Mnda has some information about this and it can be downloaded from here

https://www.mndassociation.org/about...for-you-guide/

It does now work.

Look down the list till you get to carers assessment and download it .

Guess it does not work, try with laptop tomorrow.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 1st September 2018 at 13:23.