Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobilty change car 🚙

Forum Member

Thumbs up Mobilty change car 🚙

Hi this is the first time I have posted on the site my wife has MND but I have a mobilty car but my wife is getting a new power chair which ways 20st would I be able to change my car for a Wav thanks fewbits

Hi Fewbits and welcome to the forum.

I love your title and it describes us perfectly as few bits are working but that’s just my warped sense of humour. Anyway to answer your question Motability are sympathetic to changes in mobility and they will consider a change of vehicle. Depending on how long your current lease has to run they will want a payment to adjust the values of the respective vehicles. I suggest you call them and explain the situation.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Fewbits and welcome to the forum;

Quite a few people Mnd people have to change Mobility vehicles, you will probably have to make a down payment on a WAV on top of the mobility payment. This can be in the region of £5,000.
    Try a similar WAV with your wife in the power wheelchair before you commit to make sure it's suspension is good for the extra weight over the rear wheels.

Bets wishes, Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 5th September 2018 at 12:43.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    thank you Barry

Forum Member
    Thank you Terry for the useful information

We changed our Motability car for a wav. We had to get permission to change from Motability. We had to have a year left on his PIPs. We had to put just over £6000 down on our Wav but depends on what you need. Ours was a large vehicle as Steve's power chair didn't fit in the smaller ones. The company you choose will bring out wavs for you to try. They will give you a grant towards this which is means tested. If they don't tell you about it ask them.

Sue

Hi Sue;

What WAV did you get and what are the good and bad points about it?

Having a longer car does normally mean that the wheelchair can be a little more forward so it can be reclined. Also if the wheelchair is a little bit further forward compared with the rear wheels it can give a little bit better ride.

Love Terry

Hi Terry

Steve's chair is quite long because he drives it with a footplate and has to sit reclined because of his neck pain.

We have a Ford Indepence which is long wheelbased . It is a large van like a minibus. The pros are it gave us the space we needed, 4 seats plus driver. We wanted something we could take the grandchildren out with us and extra wheelchair or equipment. Steve has a disabled sister and we take her out. Steve sits between the two back seats. The cons are that it isn't a comfortable ride for Steve springs seem non existent. It isn't easy to park if no disabled parking spaces available, but it is easy to drive. We had the Wav from Allied Mobility.

Sue

The only other van he fitted in was a long wheelbase VW Caddy but we didn't have any room to put equipment etc in

Thanks for the info Sue;

I wonder if it's got van springing for a tonne of weight in the back. I was thinking that you probably have a VW Caddy.

I have recently bought a Kia Sedona. It to is VERY wide, quite long and has firm springs. I do go in from a ramp on the back but sit beside the driver which gives a better ride for me and I can communicate. Loads of space but it is hard to use it because the route has to be cleared for me to drive in and out.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 6th September 2018 at 20:16.

Few bits, I am in wheelchair Salsa M2 and that bit heavy. I have WAV car a Citreon Berlingo automatic and very good car for me and my carer/wife finds it easy to drive. It very easy to get in and out of. Best wishes John