Thread: Mouth Care

Mouth Care

I have a conundrum. Mike has always been really meticulous with his mouth care. He won't give up the Colgate for a low froth alternative . We tried Sensitive Teeth Listerine yesterday to combat the gunkiness around his gums but this caused a huge increase in saliva production which led to problems with a gurgly throat overnight. I would try a suction toothbrush but he wants to keep using his electric brush. I was Mouth Care link nurse when I worked in stroke rehab so I thought I knew what I was doing, but I'm not sure how to manage his mouth care without causing saliva production. Botox sounds like something to be avoided as most people seem to say it increases thick mucus issues, even with Carbocystine, and Biotene is for dry mouths, which he doesn't have. Any ideas on low froth mouth stuff? Thank you.
    Last edited by Julip; 5th September 2018 at 10:07. Reason: Typo

Hi Julip;

You defiantly know more than me about this sort of thing. I know you can be prescribed no froth tooth paste and that's got to be worth giving a try for a week or two.

Maybe Mike can use the electric tooth brush by holding his head forward whilst sitting down in a shower letting the paste and stuff come out, then it can be washed off when showering.

Make sure he's drinking enough fluid.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Julip,

I can empathise with Mike re fastidious oral care!

If he used a tiny bit of his favourite toothpaste on his (round headed) electric toothbrush, he'd still get a thorough clean, with minimal froth. I use just a scrape of toothpaste and feel clean. If that still causes Mike problems, non-froth toothpastes are available in most pharmacies and health food shops.

Can I ask if he takes any meds to reduce saliva production?

If he gets a build up of thick secretions in his mouth, a suction machine can be invaluable.

Best of luck,

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Thanks for the tip about sitting in the shower Terry; at the moment he's sitting on the loo seat and dribbling onto a towel which he dislikes. I think I should also keep a record of what he's drinking as he is less able to use his hands now so perhaps isn't making himself drinks. It hadn't occurred to me.
    Last edited by Julip; 5th September 2018 at 13:47. Reason: Typo

Ellie, he's on Hyoscine patches. He tried glycopyrronium but got horrible side effects. We have just got a suction machine so I think it might be a good idea to offer suction at bed time. Thanks, as ever, for your help xx

Hi Julip;

There is a information sheet on the subject of mouth care, just follow this link:- https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...mouth-care.pdf

Love Terry

Forum Member
    That’s really helpful, thank you Terry x