• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Catsparkle
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2018

Bus pass

Hi, Ive just received my official diagnosis. I can't drive and my walking is a bit iffy. How do you go about getting a disabled bus/rail pass?
  • MNDConnect
    Forum Moderator
    • Mar 2016

Hi Catsparkle

Disabled bus passes are issued by the local council and so each area can be a bit different in their process to get one. You can look up your postcode on the Government website here and it will tell you how you can apply in your area.

You can buy a disabled rail card which gives a discount of 1/3 off of all rail tickets. The card costs £20 and you are eligible if you receive either Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Attendance Allowance.

You can find out more about the disabled rail card and how to apply online here

Best Wishes
    Rachel
    MND Connect
    Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Catsparkle
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2018

Thankyou so much Rachel. I was learning to drive when the disease started, had to cancel my test for hospital appointments! And my independence is so affected by not being able to cycle. Hopefully I'll be able to get one from my council x

Comment

• Terry
        Forum Member
        • May 2012

Hi all,

If you can not use a bus for any reason, then in most areas you can get taxi vouchers instead of a bus pass.

I think that our area gives £100 worth.

Love Terry
        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Catsparkle
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2018

wow Terry, thats amazing! Our bus service doesnt meet with the trains and theyre every two hours... ish. The thing that worries me is that although Ive got a ds1500, on good days I don't think I walk badly enough to get enough points for PIP mobility..although even when I can walk well, it makes me crazy tired to walk from my house to the station/other buses before Ive even gone out to where I want to go (voluntary work, cafe, to see friends) and I have to take regular rest stops. Its all costing a fortune at the moment..

Comment

• Lynne K
            Forum Member
            • Nov 2017

The last time that I went out and back on a bus I was at the stage of using my 2 walking poles but held them in one hand so could hold onto something. The bus moved off before I had sat down. I would have fallen on the first bus but for a kind women putting her hand to my back to support me. Similar happened on the way back. I was a couple of seats away from a button to press for the stop bell and I tried to get to it as the bus moved. It was really hard to ballance. I pressed the button then stayed where I was until he stopped. There's always a risk doing this that the bus will go past your stop. I haven't been on a but since. But I recently applied for a bus pass because I'll be able to use the metro with my husband to go into Manchester (with my wheelchair) who has an oap bus pass.
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Terry
              Forum Member
              • May 2012

Hi Catsparkle;

Have you thought about getting a electric disability scooter to use. A lot depends on the paths and roads where you are.

Love Terry
              TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Catsparkle
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2018

Lynne, that's just awful xxx I was on a bus last week and ended up running off in tears because the driver was impatient about how long it took me to open my purse, my hands don't work very well. My mum suggested putting my card on a lanyard.. now I march on and say "I'm disabled! and even then they've occasionally driven off too soon.. my legs are pretty much okay and my balance too tho, that must have been far more frightening for you xx the nice bus drivers say the others shouldn't work with the public!

Comment

• Catsparkle
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2018

Hi Terry;

I see a lot of people using them near me, so I guess that must be okay. They're a lot of money though, and on my good days I can still walk pretty well, I just get tired. MNDA connect said it could be an idea though.. I guess I should see how it goes with the PIP application?

love Lisa x

Comment

• Barry52
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2012

Hi Lisa,

Your DS1500 will automatically qualify you for PIP. If you have any issues then contact MNDA connect.

Barry x
                    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Catsparkle
                      Forum Member
                      • Jun 2018

Hi Barry,

I think you get the higher level PIP for living, but the mobility part is based on need.. my diagnosis was sped through, so I'm relatively unaffected yet.. apart from tiredess and a bit of increased tone in my legs (I think, I'd only had lower motor til now) if I didn't live so far from things I'd be okay (as far as you can be as a non driver in a ruralish area). Hmm.. it would make an incredible difference to me to have a pass, I'm spending the money at the moment, but it cost about 50 quid to get out and about last week.. Its £4 return just to my town! (and because there are only a few buses a day, you end up getting a taxi back anyway..

Lisa x

Comment

• Lynne K
                        Forum Member
                        • Nov 2017

Thanks Lisa. I live in the busy little Borough of Bury, Lancashire. Some bus drivers seem to be in their own little world, not the best on the customer services front. But maybe they take a lot of stick from some bus users so it's a defence mechanism. It's a shame that all bus users and drivers were not more friendly to one another. A lot are. I always thanked drivers and usually got a nice reply. But I think that they could all benefit from disability and customer services training. Your mum came up with a good idea about a lanyard for your bus pass. Lynne
                        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Working...
                        X