Thread: Story books for non-verbal Grandpa

Story books for non-verbal Grandpa

My husband used to love reading books to our grandson who is 19 months old. Now his voice has gone I'm looking for some books with sound effects that they can share together but I'm not having much luck finding anything suitable. I had thought about getting books and helping him type in the words but it would be hard to coordinate it with his gridpad, plus Dexter often flicks through the pages or reverses without warning! Any ideas?

Forum Member
    you can get lovely sound effect books for 'what the ladybird heard', but digital ones might be better as theyd read the story for your grandpa, but he and your son could explore the silly sounds and movements on the page together (does he still have movement in his hands?) . there were some lovely ones i used to use with my daughter, i'll see if i can find them. very suitable for the age too

Forum Member

My husband listens to books on audible it has children's books. There might be something suitable. It does cost 7.99 a month though

Sue

Hi Sue and Julip;

I think most library's have talking books and you can down load them on a loan bases.

You tube have some talking books as well. Libarocks (wrong spelling) recordings are also on youtube.

Both of the above are free but probably not so good as audible.get apps that will read your writing out or you can cut and paste into and it would read out. Not sure of the details.

You can also

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Weve signed up to the on line library service "Libby" it's fantastic. At 19months, the childrens audio books would probably be a bit much for the little one, but your grandpa might enjoy them, they have a HUGE range and all free! Terry, I've not used Audible much, are they the professional recordings like the library or the ones where the synthetic voice reads it out? We used to love the way our reader voice said "Gryffindor"

for brand new audio or print books you have to go on a waiting list, like a "real" book library, I'm guessing on audible you'd be able to get them without the wait?
    My daughter loves her audio bedtime book from the library, my mum tried to buy it on her ipad and it cost crazy money, so I'm glad we signed up, i think the series has 10 books ��

Back to the littley, We had the Dr Seuss books as an app on our tablet, those are fab for little people too , you can tap on the pictures to hear the words, and if you move the pages back and forth it'll just read it again so they could do it together x
    this is bringing back lots of lovely memories, not that long ago i had a tiny tot myself!