Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hubby has MND symptoms but no diagnosis yet.

For short term relief men can use a convene. You can find details here https://www.coloplast.co.uk/irl-land...onveen-sheath/

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry52 View Post
    For short term relief men can use a convene. You can find details here https://www.coloplast.co.uk/irl-land...onveen-sheath/

Barry
    Just checked out the website, it's a good idea and product. Thanks Barry.

Hubby has had three falls over the weekend, once outside where he hurt his bum, and twice in the bathroom, and he had his walker. I think all 3 falls have happened when he's reaching for something and he's lost his balance.

Hi Twinkle;

He must try and be more careful. It's so hard to get used to being less able, especially the balance thing.

Not quite so bad for me as my progression is slow so I've had some time to get used to things.

Speak to his OT and maybe get some weight on the frame somehow.

Love Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Twinkle;

He must try and be more careful. It's so hard to get used to being less able, especially the balance thing.

Not quite so bad for me as my progression is slow so I've had some time to get used to things.

Speak to his OT and maybe get some weight on the frame somehow.

Love Terry
    Yes, I read that you advised someone else about weight on the frame. What would I use?
    He can cope with inside falls, it's the outside that he gets embarrassed about as he has to crawl from his car to the sofa inside. I can't pick him up and I was on my own with him so it was a bit stressful.

OT only at the house on the 24th Sept.

Hi Twinkle;

To get weight on a aluminium zimmer frame with two rear wheels is quite hard and not so effective because the frame is quite short, front to back. If you put weight on a zimmer you will have trouble lifting it.

Ask the OT what she thinks about making him more stable. Don't say to much about adding weight as they probably won't understand. Try to get a 3 and 4 wheeled walker, it's easy to put a gallon of water in their bag.

Falling is very dangerous, inside or out.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 17th September 2018 at 16:06. Reason: Poor info

Hi twinkle,

I said this yesterday
    To get weight on a aluminium zimmer frame with two rear wheels is quite hard and not so effective because the frame is quite short, front to back. Ideally it would be best placed mid way under the side bars. If you know of any one that uses metal, maybe they can put 3 to 4 kg under each side bar.

Your husband probably won't be able to move the zimmer frame with weight on it.

Wheeled walkers can be pushed along

Love Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi twinkle,

I said this yesterday
    To get weight on a aluminium zimmer frame with two rear wheels is quite hard and not so effective because the frame is quite short, front to back. Ideally it would be best placed mid way under the side bars. If you know of any one that uses metal, maybe they can put 3 to 4 kg under each side bar.

Your husband probably won't be able to move the zimmer frame with weight on it.

Wheeled walkers can be pushed along

Love Terry
    Thanks Tweety, hubby's two frames have two wheels at the front. They're very light and it's quite easy to lose balance with them, so I'll have a think whatvti use.