Thread: Neck Pain

Neck Pain

My hubby has pain at the top of his neck, it looks like a big ball, and I often massage his neck and shoulders to relieve knots. He's starting to watch tv by lifting up his eyes rather than lift his neck up.
    Is there any suggestions for something diy as the problem isn't major atm.
    Thanks.

Forum Member
    Hi

Does your husband have a raiser recliner chair or a wheelchair that can be tilted. By adjusting either one of these he could watch the TV without straining his neck so much. It sounds like he also needs a neck brace. A physiotherapist will be able to advise on one of those and exercises to stop straining his neck. An Occupational Therapist can help you get a raiser recliner chair. If his diagnosis with mnd is new does he have a physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist yet. In the meantime he could maybe try lying on the couch or sitting in a slightly slouched position for short periods of time but it wouldn't be good for you to do this for a long term. It might be a short time fix. Best of luck.

Mick.

Hi Twinkle,

I agree with Mick - a neck brace/head support would lessen your husband's neck pain and make life more bearable! My own neck is quite weak and without my neck support I'd be looking at my lap all day, as well as being in constant pain.

His OT or Physio should be able to help - he'd definitely get help at an MND Clinic if he gets an official MND diagnosis.

Short term you could try a larger pharmacy branch for a cervical collar - he may be too far gone for a soft foam collar, so maybe a rigid collar would give more support. He could try them on in the shop and see.

For the aches and pains he could try a warm wheat pack and ibuprofen to manage pain.

Best of luck.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Thanks both for your replies.

Mick, we have a recliner two seater but it doesn't raise so watching tv in this position of recline is no good as the tv is on a unit quite low down to the floor.

I need to put on my thinking cap ��

Ellie, good suggestion about the wheat pack, that would surely relieve the soreness. I already use a little ibuprofen on his neck.

Can't wait of the OT and Physio people to arrive to help with stuff and such.

I bought this hot water bottle today for my hubby's sore neck. It might be helpful to others who have neck pain.

https://www.dunelm.com/product/teddy...oal-1000126793

Hi twinkle,

Looks so funny but will probably help him.

I wonder what the Teddy Bear Charcoal Cuddle Cushion £25.00, is like.

Don't know they are in their shops, will have to look.

Love Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi twinkle,

Looks so funny but will probably help him.

I wonder what the Teddy Bear Charcoal Cuddle Cushion £25.00, is like.

Don't know they are in their shops, will have to look.

Love Terry
    It is a funny shape, but will be good for sore necks and top of shoulders.

The cuddle cushion looks great, the material is very soft and warm. I sometimes read in bed and this would be good instead of propping up pillows.

Hi all.

Can anyone recommend a good, comfortable, sturdy, neckbrace for my husband?
    This will be a temporary neckbrace to use as the OT people arrive on the 24th Sept and to use afterwards until one is ready for him.

Actually,...... Do OT people supply a necklace?

I've looked on eBay and such but there's so many to choice from.

Did any of you buy one before one was
    supplied for you and you thought it was good?

Hubby's neck is so sore and bent forward quite a lot now especially when eating his meals.

Thanks xxxx

Hi twinkle,

You could ask the OT for a Sheffield snood. This is an adjustable collar available on the nhs. Not everyone likes it but I know some people who think it is great.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Twinkle

I use a neck brace called a Miami. It holds your head upright but is very ridgid and provides good relief for me. . You can't move your head much when wearing it and side to side movement is very limited. It is available online at websites like amazon. I also have a foam like neck brace that you often see people wear when they have a neck injury. They are also available on amazon if you search for foam neck brace.The foam brace allows much more movement but doesn't provide as much support. I'm still waiting for my snood collar so I can't comment on it yet but I have heard both good and bad reviews of it.

I don't know if getting a neck brace without a recommendation from the OT would be a good idea. They often have to be fitted by a physiotherapist rather than an OT. If you're seeing the OT next week I'd wait if at all possible. Or try one of the foam collars. Your gp or a local private physiotherapist probably has one and they are a simple fit and I find that it provides some relief.

Also under no conditions should he wear a collar while eating unless the OT says it's okay to do so. There is a very real risk of chocking on your food if you have any swallowing problems.

Mick.