Thread: free car tax

Forum Member

free car tax

hi Mick got his higher award pip so entitled to free car tax. my vw beetle is highest tax so better to have that for free. i understand about going to post office. However, i pay it direct debit 1 st of each month so do i cancel that? thanks

Hi Shrew;

Best to sort out the disabled tax first and they will refund you if any is due. If you do get a wheelchair ramp van later then it might be handy to swap it as sometimes it gets you other free benefits like free Dartford crossing and you can go into Londao

Most toll charges are free to blue badge holders but you generally have to apply to each one. There is normally an option on the toll website. I have exemptions from Dartford and Tyne tunnel and it saves me scrambling for change and trying to reach the machine without dropping the coins.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi, I found out that I am not allowed to drive our WAV if it has free tax, if my disabled wife is not in the car, if I dropped my wife somewhere and then went home, is this allowed?

Hi David

If it's a Motability WAV, the rules of Motability are that the car should only be used for the benefit of the disabled person. If you've taken her somewhere to drop her off then that is for her benefit as is driving back to collect her again. I think the rules are there to prevent other people using the car for their own purpose. If you have any doubts call Motability, they're really helpful and understanding.

Andy

This has come up before and it seems a crazy rule as you have to have two cars if you want to something by yourself.

Be good to get an update and clarification. And ask if there's any way around it.

Maybe another reason for getting a second hand WAV.

Love Terry

Quote Originally Posted by davidr View Post
    Hi, I found out that I am not allowed to drive our WAV if it has free tax, if my disabled wife is not in the car, if I dropped my wife somewhere and then went home, is this allowed?
    Hi Davidr,

The Motability rule is that the vehicle is to be used for the benefit of the person with the disability. In other words you can use it to go shopping because that is for that person’s benefit and they don’t have to be in the car.

The same rule should also apply to the DVLA disability exemption for private vehicle tax.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry52; 16th November 2018 at 16:11.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!