Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back hurting like mad.. does this ring any bells?.. told just to exercise?

Forum Member

Back hurting like mad.. does this ring any bells?.. told just to exercise?

Hi All.. bit of advice if anyone can help please... I'm having problems with my core / back... I've been told that MND or MS does not start here, and more of less told by the doc's just to live with it?

about 2 years ago, I had my Abs go very weak, then I kind of felt my diaphragm go weak.. stopped running as I felt my insides jigging up and down... pulling in the throat ... and then burning in my mid to low spine (behind my Abs) either side of the spine.
    Like its gone front to back... Last few months, I've felt my back get very weak.. its kind of moved into the bigger muscles either side of the spine and is burning like mad. My spine cracks for fun, and I now have problems standing / walking.
    Sat here now, its burning and I don't know what to do with myself as its very unpleasant.
    I'm also finding my legs heavy now, and my gate has closed down, also arms heavy.
    I get a pain at the base of my skull, hard to breath, tight chest, tight throat, no concentration, thinking not 100%, memory not the best and so on..
    I know you can't diagnose, but does this sound typical, or maybe more a MS thing?
    Does MND come with pain?... (although is the pain I get due to overuse of other muscles taking the place of ones not working right)
    Doc's have told me before that if it is MS / MND, there is nothing that can be done so why bother.. which is a responce I've though about a lot since having been told this... and something I think I may complain about as I find this disgusting come from a GP.
    Have had nuro test but show nothing.. MRI of the neck etc.. no lumber or nerve biopsy.. but just not sure about going back?.. anyone any thoughts?.. Many thanks.. John

I cannot diagnose but feel for you about your back. I had my first slipped disc aged 24 when working in Littlewoods admin department, very poor chairs, no support. After a few decades of back pain, sciatica and occasionally unable to move I was diagnosed as having severly degenerated discs in my lower back and degeneration elsewhere but not as severe. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable constant pain when I am confined to a wheelchair and eventually a bed. I understand your frustration as you had been a runner. I used to do hill walking and rock scrambling. It's been hard to come to terms with the fact that I'll never again do such things. But I'm now in a positive frame of mind. I enjoyed doing what few have had the pleasure to take part in. I hope that you find more support than you are currently doing. If I had your GP I would be thinking of changing. But that's your decision to make. Good luck. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi John,

Your symptoms are not Mnd-like.

I hope you can get your pain under control.

Best wishes,

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi John,

The way your symptoms started are nothing like Mnd and they normally show if Mnd is a possibility.

I know what back pain is like and I feel for you.

You can only push your GP for more tests etc.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hi John,

Your symptoms are not Mnd-like.

I hope you can get your pain under control.

Best wishes,

Ellie.
    Hi Ellie... may be not... but what makes you say that? one thing I forgot to put was its also symetrical so again not a MND / MS sign. I do get pins / needles in arms, legs and face, and finger ends going numb, but that could be anx?. and again, the weakness as i cant stand more than 5 mins.., but Its not good when you have to do this sort of thing yourself to try and establish whats wrong with you... We had a family member with MND many years ago, but I'm not sure of his exact symptoms. But obviously my Mother thinks of this as the first thing as what ever I've got is progressive and stoping me doing things now...

Thanks for your comments anyway everyone, at least if I can cross one thing off, I can start to look ealsewhere... I also need to change my doctors as I'm unhappy with their lack of interest and comments about my condition... It is hard to have been so fit and active, to now realise that those days are probably gone and try re-adjust your life and expectations to fit. Obviously some conditions much worst than others, but I wish everyone well on here... let's hope they make some progress soon with answers to this and other Nuro conditions that blight peoples everday lives as they do...

thanks again. John
    Last edited by jdb1964; 22nd September 2018 at 18:35.

Again, not MND - pins & needles, numbness are not motor issues.

Keep working with your doctors and hope you can get answers and also deal with the anxiety you mentioned.

Good luck.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Again, not MND - pins & needles, numbness are not motor issues.

Keep working with your doctors and hope you can get answers and also deal with the anxiety you mentioned.

Good luck.
    Yes, will do.. I have a list of 20 things its not, but no clue as to what it is.. its the weakness thats the bigest issue.... a day gardening is now 15 mins and I need a rest LOL... probably a sleep... useless...
    But its the same with the doc's who just say no.. its not this or that, but with no explination why...
    Its got to be something... as you say.. keep pushing... Thanks again.. John

Your symptoms sound more like a Dutch friend of ours. Hers is a nerve related condition. Very painful, even her feet. Not psychological nerves. It's neurological. You obviously need to keep going for second, third, fourth opinions and tests. Good luck. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Your symptoms sound more like a Dutch friend of ours. Hers is a nerve related condition. Very painful, even her feet. Not psychological nerves. It's neurological. You obviously need to keep going for second, third, fourth opinions and tests. Good luck. Lynne
    Thanks Lynne... I will keep trying.. many thanks... so long as I can cross this out, I'll try elsewhere. I've been seen by the nuro a couple of times already and nothing to report so the doc will not refer me again... but I need him to do something as at some point I'm going to be out of work without a reason why and then what happens?.. I agree with out, its more a nuro type thing... but the experts say no?....
    thanks again... John

Hi your core stuff sounds like what I get with Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth where normal gut bacteria has migrated to a place they have no business being. This causes severe bloating high in the abdomen where there is not the transverse oblique to pull it back. The smaller muscles can't cope and give up this affects all of the abdominal muscles then causing core instability and back pain. Trying to exercise without core support will leave you wide open to back injuries. Go back to dr ask for a gastro review to check for SIBO.