Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back hurting like mad.. does this ring any bells?.. told just to exercise?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broken_nails View Post
    Hi your core stuff sounds like what I get with Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth where normal gut bacteria has migrated to a place they have no business being. This causes severe bloating high in the abdomen where there is not the transverse oblique to pull it back. The smaller muscles can't cope and give up this affects all of the abdominal muscles then causing core instability and back pain. Trying to exercise without core support will leave you wide open to back injuries. Go back to dr ask for a gastro review to check for SIBO.
    Hi, Thanks for that... I have had ulcerative colitis in the past but its not too bad now.. so I'm aware of bloating and nipping sensations.. and agree, it does come close, and for sure, some of it maybe down to this... but when I stand or walk for any time now, the mid bottom of my back about 3" upfrom my tail bone hurts like mad and kind of feels like its going to go into cramp.. and the bigger muscles further up either side burn... even with the physio trying to get some strength into them does not work... it like my whole middle section is closing down?...

Forum Member
    Went today for more blood test, so see if anything comes of that. I’ve been doing some lower level gym work, and it does make the muscles feel better for a while.. but I’m at a point where It’s helping less than the duration between sessions now (about 24 hrs)... I’d literal have to go every day to make it worthwhile.. but that’s not an option as I’m so tired all of the time.

Was trying to do a leg exercise yesterday but just could not lift the leg, something I could do the week before?

Can I ask what the muscle weakness is like in MND? If it’s not like what I’m seeing, how does it progress? Reading symptoms it sounds like a steady reduction in strength initially, with muscle aches and pains, usually with visual degrading of the muscle in question. This can relate to one or an area of muscles.

TBH, other than the visual aspect, this is what I’m seeing? Back weakness has now gone into my leg tops, and core is very stiff. I did take the dog for a short walk today, but was glad when I got back as my full system just felt like it was weak and seizing up.. it was hard to breathe... I tired me out that much I fell asleep for a good hour... the joys...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdb1964 View Post
    Went today for more blood test, so see if anything comes of that. I’ve been doing some lower level gym work, and it does make the muscles feel better for a while.. but I’m at a point where It’s helping less than the duration between sessions now (about 24 hrs)... I’d literal have to go every day to make it worthwhile.. but that’s not an option as I’m so tired all of the time.

Was trying to do a leg exercise yesterday but just could not lift the leg, something I could do the week before?

Can I ask what the muscle weakness is like in MND? If it’s not like what I’m seeing, how does it progress? Reading symptoms it sounds like a steady reduction in strength initially, with muscle aches and pains, usually with visual degrading of the muscle in question. This can relate to one or an area of muscles.

TBH, other than the visual aspect, this is what I’m seeing? Back weakness has now gone into my leg tops, and core is very stiff. I did take the dog for a short walk today, but was glad when I got back as my full system just felt like it was weak and seizing up.. it was hard to breathe... I tired me out that much I fell asleep for a good hour... the joys...
    Does any of this sound right.. throat stiff today, can't swallow, intercostal muscles stiff and burning. Can't get a deep breathe, legs now ache and very weak??

Hi jdb,

You have a lot of things to deal with. Throat stiff today, can't swallow, intercostal muscles stiff and burning, don't sound like the tipical Mnd symptoms.

You asked how muscles were affected with us but there are so many ways.

Quite often people get curling fingers and foot toes drop. I have a lot of trouble lifting my feet when standing but can raise them a bit easily when laying down.

Hope you get some improvements soon.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi jdb,

You have a lot of things to deal with. Throat stiff today, can't swallow, intercostal muscles stiff and burning, don't sound like the tipical Mnd symptoms.

You asked how muscles were affected with us but there are so many ways.

Quite often people get curling fingers and foot toes drop. I have a lot of trouble lifting my feet when standing but can raise them a bit easily when laying down.

Hope you get some improvements soon.

Love Terry
    Thanks Terry very much for your reply and as you say, i guess things differ between people. I don't get curling fingers and toes.. just what feals like muscles getting weaker and hurting / burning. short of breth, tighness in the throat and chest. guess its a waiting game to see what comes next, but just don't want to miss the boat if its something they can help with so trying all options..... many thanks for your time and wishing everyone the best on here...
    Worrying times for us all i guess..

Really John, you're wasting our precious time posting your lists and lists of symptoms, which neither Doctors nor Neurologists were worried about regarding an MND

We cannot diagnose you, we are not Doctors.

Please go back to your GP, find a new one if necessary, and follow through with them, not on a forum for terminally ill people.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Really John, you're wasting our precious time posting your lists and lists of symptoms, which neither Doctors nor Neurologists were worried about regarding an MND

We cannot diagnose you, we are not Doctors.

Please go back to your GP, find a new one if necessary, and follow through with them, not on a forum for terminally ill people.

Ellie.
    Sorry Ellie . its just when you've had someone so close go down this path, It's a thought you can't get out of your head when you yourself start with issues they can't diagnose. things have moved on these days so I guess a no is a no and I should not question.
    I do appologise for waising your time