Thread: Caring for mum in late stages of MND

Forum Member

Caring for mum in late stages of MND

I care for my 82year old mum who received a diagnosis in June 2018, however she is already in the late stages of this horrific disease. Mums speech and swallow are severely affected, she has a Rig fitted and can no longer speak properly, I can still understand the gist of some conversation. Mum still manages to walk around the house but is gradually getting weaker. It seems that every day she deteriorates a little bit more.
    My mum tells me every day that she wishes she was dead, it is very hard to hear this but I completely understand why she feels this way.
    It would be good to speak to other carers who can relate to my situation

Forum Member
    So sorry to hear this. My Husband was diagnosed 17/7 he is 59 next week. I have no words only life is so so cruel at times

Just as well that your mum got this diagnosis in her 80s. She probably has had a great life longer than other suffers. But I understand how she feels. Get her to join in here and she may feel better talking to others or reading posts in the background. If she has never been on the net it may be a joy for her to learn and something to look forward to rather than dwelling on her horrid symptoms. Sorry that you have to deal with this. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.