Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living on my own

Forum Member

Living on my own

I am living on my own and although I have great support from my family and friends, it's getting increasing difficult dealing with poor mobility problems. I hope to have a state lift installed next week which will help.
    I just wondered how others manage with MND when living on their own.

Forum Member
    Hello Annie....I live alone and although it is very challenging I manage ok. I could not do anything without my rollator as I can’t walk unaided. It allows me to move about and I can also sit down when I get tired. I have a bedroom downstairs which is a great help.Because my house is small I am never far from a grab rail or a wall! Internet shopping is great as I can get anything I need.
    My arms are still ok which means I can do a lot sitting down. I also have lovely family and friends who help me when I need it. Staying independent for as long as possible is very important to me.I wish you the best Annie but there are no easy answers...love Dani

Forum Member
    Hi Dani
    Thanks for reply. Your MND sounds on a par with mine. I too am unable to walk unaided. So far, it's just my legs that are affected. I am having a stair lift installed next week hopefully as going upstairs is a logistical nightmare. I am also going through a financial assessment to check if the Council will fund a baththroom downstairs ( which would be great!). I already have online shopping and I get my prescriptions delivered. I am trying to do as much as I can independently too - some days are easier than others. I know there are no easy answers especially as this disease is not the same for all. Take care. Annie

Hi Annie,
    I'm living on my own and am in a similar situation with weak legs but OK arms. I too need a rollator to get about outside. I have just had a lift installed which makes getting upstairs much easier. I am doing what I can to prepare for things moving on, including practising using a wheelchair. I am lucky to have a partner living close by, but I try to be as independent as possible and aim to do so for as long as I can.
    John

Forum Member
    Hi Annie, I had a stair lift fitted 9 weeks ago and after the first week I couldn't get off it by myself because at the bottom of the stairs my feet are just about off the floor which is ok I can stand from there.

When I go to the top of the stairs my feet are flat on the floor on the landing and my knees are up a bit and I don't have good muscles in my thighs so I can't push of the seat on my own my husband has to pull me up, which has become so difficult and can take up to 5 or more pulls which hurts my shoulder and his back.

It was so difficult last week we where trying for over half an hour. I didn't have my socks on with the bobbels so no grip on the carpet after so many trys I suggested getting a pair of yellow rubber gloves from the bathroom and putting them on my feet well after me crying with frustration earlier we ended up laughing so much because I just looked like big bird from sesamy street, I should have took a photo. But that still didn't work, a bath mat with foam on the back turned upside down finally worked. By this time we where both exhausted.

Getting to the point I think the metal bar that it runs on would be better if it went further up past the top stair. I am going to ring the installer tomorrow to see if they can do anything about this problem. My O/T measured the difference the other day and there's a 4 inch difference from top to the bottom.

I thought I'd mention this so as you don't have a similar problem which would be worse for you being on your own. Ask your installer where the bar finishes at the top before it's fitted.

Best wishes Bernie x

Forum Member
    Hello Annie
    After reading Bernie's reply I thought I would I add my own thoughts.
    Our stair-lift was originally fitted for my husband. He was heavy and I had a lot of problems helping him to get on and off the seat due to the different height between chairs and floors. We found a slide-board helped to transfer him to the stairlift chair from a normal chair. I have MND and now live alone and knowing how we had these problems, when I organised my electric wheelchair I chose one with a lift to the seat. This brings me up to the correct height to transfer. Once upstairs I find I can pull myself up using a tall walking frame.
    Hope this helps you.
    Good luck sorting out the best way forward for you both. Love Ann

Hi Annie,
    I too had a stair lift fitted a couple of months ago.
    The only way I can get on and off is by my husband lifting me. As a consequence of all the lifting he is doing, his back is suffering.
    We have now moved our bed downstairs next to my profile bed. It is just so much easier.
    I guess this only works if there is a downstairs loo etc!
    Also if you need to transfer with a board, make sure you get the installer to think about arms that lift up!
    Good luck,
    Marigold

Forum Member
    Hi thank you to all for your thoughts and suggestions - it certainly helps! My Occupational Therapist will be here at the same time as the stair lift installed. I think it's to work out where I need grab handles to be. She has also talked about a bed downstairs (one to think if in the future). Having a bathroom downstairs will be a bonus- that might depend on my financial contribution to it. Thanks again. Annie x

Forum Member
    Hi just an update on my stair lift. I rang them yesterday and explained the problem i have.
    They sent someone out today and he put some extension posts on it, and I can now get of at the top of the stairs on my own without all the struggling. ��

I'll now be looking forward to using my shower and toilet instead of dreading it. X

Good speedy result Bernie.

Do you have a sit-to-stand hoist for "just in case" days?

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.