Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living on my own

Forum Member
    Hi Bernie. That is good news for you! I am hopeful that O will hear from the stair lift people this week. It is such a worry (and hard work) going up and down the stairs. I'll let you know. Annie

Bernie, I have exactly the same problem getting off my lift at the top of the stairs, downstairs is absolutely fine .
    I've spoken to the stairlift people and they said nothing could be done. I'm going to go back to them now and ask again.
    When I had it fitted I was given the option of it finishing around the corner rather than the top step, sadly no one pointed out the reasoning behind this .
    Also my sit to stand hoist or sack truck doesn't slide all the way under the chair upstairs so I'm going to have problems there too.
    So the moral of the story get as much advice as possible before having any equipment fitted! .

Forum Member
    Hi Ellie, I was very pleased with the quick response, I didn't think there would be anything that could be done otherwise I would have contacted the lift company weeks ago.

I haven't thought about a sit to stand hoist yet but the way my walking is deteriorating i think I'll be looking into one soon. xx

Forum Member
    Hi Annie, I know what you mean about climbing the stairs . My Physio didn't want me to get a stair lift because my core muscles are quite weak, but the stairs where getting impossible.

The firm i went with are called Unicorn they are a small company and that reflects the price a lot cheaper than most. They 're based in Yorkshire. Xx

Forum Member
    Hi Newbie, I'm sorry to hear that you're stair lift company aren't as helpful as mine have been.

The fitter that came out today took the seat off and the post it was fitted to then replaced it with a longer post, "like under a bike seat" that gives me about 3 inches higher.

I know there is all different types of stair lifts but surely there must be something they can do for you. I really hope they can. Xx
    Last edited by Bernie; 9th October 2018 at 23:19.

Forum Member
    Unfortunately about four years ago, I fell when getting off my stairlift at the top of the stairs. I fell all the way down and ended up in hospital for four weeks with a fractured pelvis. We never really figured out what actually happened but my advice is to really concentrate when using a stairlift (and other equipment) and not to become complacement.

Gosh Miranda, that must have been really scary and very painful. Has your pelvis recovered or do you still have pain? Good idea to share your experience. Lynne x
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    Just on update on my stair lift. Installed and very happy with it especially as it turns at the top of the stairs. Comfomforting that there's a 24/7 number to phone if it goes wrong. Already seeing the benefits of not struggling. I wonder what my grandchildren will think of it when they come for lunch on Sunday? I've also been told today that my wheelchair will be delivered on Monday. It seems sad that I look forward to these aids that help to cope with this nasty disease. Hope all have a good weekend. Annie

Forum Member
    Hi Annie,so pleased for you that your happy with your stair lift.

And I know what you mean about looking forward to wheelchair ect i wouldn't even use a walking stick until last August, although my daughter was suggesting it from as early as June.

Since then I have been given lots of equipment and also bought some.
    And like you I was happy to get these this because I started realising that I could manage my life with them.

Enjoy your visit with your grandchildren on Sunday xx

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne K View Post
    Gosh Miranda, that must have been really scary and very painful. Has your pelvis recovered or do you still have pain? Good idea to share your experience. Lynne x
    Hi Lynne. Happy to be able to report I'm pain free. Took a while to get back to walking with the rollator. Now use it to shuffle around indoors but have a power chair for outside