Thread: Brexit

Forum Member

Brexit

Hello
    After BREXIT we will be part of the European Medicines Agency? I am thinking of new medicines for MND? Will the UK will have to trial drugs independently?
    Chris

Forum Member
    On 29 March 2017, the United Kingdom (UK) notified the European Council of its intention to withdraw from the European Union (EU), a process known as 'Brexit'. The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is making preparations to ensure that it can continue to deliver on its mission and protect public and animal health after the UK leaves the EU on 30 March 2019, the date currently set by the timeframe provided in Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.

One of the consequences of Brexit is that EMA will relocate to Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where it has to take up its operations on 30 March 2019 at the latest.

The Agency continues its operations in accordance with the timelines set by its rules and regulations.

EMA is working on the scenario that the UK will become a third country as of 30 March 2019. As a consequence, the UK will no longer be able to engage as (co)-rapporteur for new marketing authorisation applications for which the centralised procedure would finish after 30 March 2019. This is without prejudice to the outcome of the withdrawal negotiations.

No Member State has previously decided to leave the EU, so there is no precedent for this situation.

Forum Member
    Dear Chris

Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to the European Medicines Agency.

There are troubling concerns that a No-Deal Brexit, in particular, will leave the UK stranded when it comes to access to important medical supplies including medicines. This became evident over the summer, when it was reported that medicines were being stockpiled by the Government. You raise an excellent question, however, about those medicines which are still in their trial phase at the EMA: Will we have access to those medicines that are still being developed?

That being the case, I am pleased to confirm that I have written to the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union to ask if the Government will make guarantees that access to medicines trialled and tested by the EMA will remain accessible to people in the UK. I have also asked if the Government what plans are in place to set up and inaugurate a British EMA equivalent. I will write again when I have received the response.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

TIM FARRON MP

Well done Chris;

It's a important matter that could well get overlooked.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks Terry