Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: House and Room Adaptions

House and Room Adaptions

What to do with hubby's declining mobility!

I'm not sure which is best, to sleep upstairs or downstairs, stairlift or house extension, lift in house or just living in the dining room ( we have the room).

Everything feels so overwhelming atm.

Also, If you don't mind me asking.. .. ..

What are your preferences concerning sleeping, shower, tiolet, upstairs or downstairs, etc
    Last edited by Twinkle; 12th October 2018 at 17:13.

Forum Member
    Hello. I have just had a stair lift installed today but I think it's temporary. I will be having a bathroom downstairs installed before Christmas. I am hoping to continue to sleep upstairs though as long as I can. The predictability of this disease makes it very difficult to plan long-term. Good luck. Annie

I guess it's what works for your house and budget Twinkle.

A lift can work well and doesn't involve transfers. It gives you both the psychological separation of living and sleeping areas, and maintains the status quo and normality of "going up to bed", but the lift itself can be quite physically intrusive.

An extension is a big upheaval for a while, but it can be well worth it as you design it with hubby's needs in mind (as well as adding value to the house)

Using the dining room as a bedroom is probably the most practical, even if just while you decide what to do!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    We’ve got similar issues Twinkle. Our house is very old and not at all suited to adaptation. Our bathroom is downstairs but hubby is unable to get to it at the moment. He is sleeping in what was our dining room. He has a camping loo. We go to the local sports village for his showers. His main problem is pulling up trousers and transferring from wheelchair to loo, bed etc. Our stairs aren’t suited to a stair lift, nor is there room for an ordinary lift. An extension isn’t an option either. So basically we are looking at moving.....asap!
    I hope you manage to sort out which option is best for you xx

Hope it all works out for you Jen x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    Hi Twinke,

This is a tricky one and I really feel for you. It is hard to make decisions when you're newly diagnosed. We were advised to look long term and not make adaptions that would need changing again. At the time I found this very hard but we were lucky enough to move to a ground floor apartment although It was very upsetting to leave our family home. Everyone is different but I couldn't manage any stairs and I was told a stair lift would only be a temporary measure.It might work for you , however.

We have a new wetroom and I can just about manage to get around using a rollator. At my last appointment they said my biggest risk atm is from a fall ( I have had lots , ) So I guess safety is the key.

I don't know is this is any help to you, Twiinkle . It's so hard to make these decisions .
    Jen, I hope things work out for you too. I have felt safer since we moved...
    Hope I am not tempting fate.

Love Debbie

Sometimes, a through the floor lift can work as long as it can take a bigger power wheelchair.

Ideally we would all have a bungalow with wide doorways and a well designed wet room. Don't forget the outside access as well.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Hello, it is a very daunting time I am just starting the house adaptions steps. A report has been done and said we need downstairs wheelchair access. This will mean major house adaptions to build a double bedroom and convert our garage into a wet room. It all very scary but as everyone says best to be done early keeping one step ahead of this horrid disease. I can't use our upstairs bathroom on my own safely so these adaptions will hopefully get the approval we are waiting on a means test.

Good luck Love Ginger

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hope it all works out for you Jen x
    Thanks Ellie...we’re doing ok. I make it sound so bleak, which I really don’t mean to! We have a super helpful team around us, and they are trying to move mountains for us. It all takes time of course, and he seems to be progressing at a rate of knots. However, we try to stay strong and take each day etc xxx

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Hi Twinke,

Jen, I hope things work out for you too. I have felt safer since we moved...
    Hope I am not tempting fate.

Love Debbie
    Thanks Debbie. I’m sure it will all work out, we just need to be patient. (I’m not very good at that! j
    I’m sure you’re going to be much more comfortable...and safe now. I really hope it works well for you xxxx