Tricky neck issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricky neck issue

Mike's head is really feeling heavy now and even though he uses his Head-up collar still experiences a lot of pain. He has paracetamol regularly and uses a heat pad which both help. He can't now get comfortable in his riser recliner chair and is really unhappy in the car as his head moves about a lot. As his legs are not affected he doesn't have a wheelchair with supportive head rest. Does anyone have a suggestion for head stabilisation in the car and comfort in his riser recliner?

Thanks, as always, Julia xx
  • mickmac
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2016

Hi Julia

I also find that the head up collar allows too much head movement in a car. I use a Miami neck collar instead while traveling. The Miami is a lot more ridged and allows very little side to side or up down movement. He could also try that collar at home during the day as it might provide some relief with the extra support it gives. If he wore that one for a couple of hours and then switched to the head up collar it may help. The only other thing I found was lying down on a bed even for a half hour helps to relieve the pain..

Mick.

Comment

Thank you Mickmac. I've spent hours online looking for gadgets but I hadn't thought about the Miami.( I used to train carers in how to put them on, so you'd think I would know! )

Comment

• Ellie
        Forum Member
        • Oct 2012

Hi Julia,

Have the supports on the HeadUp been adjusted recently to account for changes in hubby's muscle strength and/or supports bending? That's the beauty of the HeadUp - the supports can be repositioned easily.

Does he recline his armchair to take the weight of his head, or is the TV low down? There are lateral head support cushions, but they won't stop his head tipping forward.

Maybe a more rigid collar, as Mick said, but, like everything, it's trial & error

Even with a good supportive collar in the car, sometimes a strap which goes around the forehead and car headrest is needed to stop the head from bobbing about like those rear window 1970s dogs!! The headrest may have to be a bit higher than it ought.

Is his OT helping? It's best if someone sees hubby in person and in his armchair.

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

My New Best Friend!

Hi Julia,

I recently bought a "BCOZZY" chin supporting travel cushion to wear in my riser-recliner armchair and it's been a fantastic solution to my bobbing neck and I wondered might it work for Mike if he hasn't found a solution yet?

It's made of memory foam, so is firm enough to give support but very comfortable too. This is what it looks like:

I have to use a hair bobbin to secure the two ends tighter under my chin and it supports my chin whilst stopping my head lolling to the side.

See what you & Mike think - more info on: (other retailers are available)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BCOZZY-Chin...s=bcozzy&psc=1

Love Ellie.
          Last edited by Ellie; 2 September 2021, 18:29.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
          X