Thread: mobiity scooter for bus

Forum Member

mobiity scooter for bus

Hello all, I'd love some advice please!
    I've been awarded full PIP and applied for my disabled bus pass, but the buses in my area are a rural service so I think a mobility scooter would be a good idea.. i'm upper limb onset, fairly slow progression, and I found a scooter I can use easily even with my most affected hand, so I should get a reasonable bit of time from it before I need a power chair?

The trouble is that I wouldn't be allowed to take it on a bus! The scooter needs to be less than 100cm for that, and they seem to be 3 wheelers that wouldn't suit a trip to the shops (not on our pavements anyway!)

I would still be able to drive if I had an automatic with electronic handbrake, but at the time of my test my hospital appts started flooding in and I couldn't do the handbrake by the end of the lesson. So I thought a scooter would be less of an outlay/hassle than doing the adapted car route?

Has anyone found a good scooter that was under 100cm in length and could be used on a bus?
    You're supposed to get a permit before you go on one, and training too apparently, although I saw a chap with a massive road scooter on the bus the other day!

Lisa x

Hi Lisa;

Sorry for the late reply, I must have missed it.

Please make sure that you try and can operate them before you buy. 3 wheel ones sometimes put less stress through the hands and arms.

I used a scooter on a train, they put a ramp up and I drove on on the outward journey but when I went to return they would not let me do it as it's not a wheelchair. I had to climb on which to some doing and the scooter was put in the guards wagon.

I'm sure that there are ones under a meter in length but the Go-Go Elite Traveller is 3 millimeters over that.

Not sure how you would get it on a bus though. it does brake into 5 pieces if require to go in a car.

this one is less than a meter and is much lighter and folds up:- https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/m...ty-scooter-red

It is a bit cheaper here:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Fold...jwg:rk:10:pf:0

There are many others out there.

Love Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 13th November 2018 at 17:54.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.