Thread: Memories box

Memories box

I have 3 children 2 boy's aged 9 10 and our daughter who is 4

I need some advice to what to put in the box

I will be putting in lots of photos in it but I'm just asking for ideas

Regards
    PB

Hi PB...your children are so young
    In 2008 my hubby was diagnosed and I suggested he do a memory box for our girls. He said at one point that he would write them each a letter. He never did it and now he cannot because his arms/hands are so weak. I suggested to type it but so far, no. Part of this I believe is that he will not submit to this disease and if he thinks too much about death, the slope will become slippier, faster. He tells the girls he loves them regularly and they know anyway. Suggestions would be photos, your favourite aftershave maybe, photos of you growing up and significant and special memories, cards, notes, drawings if you are able, voice/video recordings, jewellery, whatever is personal to you I guess. I have my husband's grandmother's Bible for example and his MBE medal so eventually these items will pass to our girls xxx

Hi PB,

My kids were 3 & 5 at diagnosis, now they're 15 & 17, so the box has evolved.

I wrote them letters but I change them regularly to reflect their advancing maturity.

I put in some stuff they made for me (cards, drawings etc); lots of photos (of me as a kid & grownup and with us all before & after MND); lists of my favourite books, music and films; favourite perfumes; accounts of my "best ever" holidays; a few stories of me & their dad (wedding, early years etc)

As they've grown up, I've realised they're very interested in little anecdotes, so I write them down (sometimes with relevant photos) This is how I feel they'll get a "sense" of who I was/am.

Only this week my daughter asked her dad what our first dance was at our wedding. He turned to me, looking sheepish as he hadn't a clue ... Knowing I won't be here for her own wedding prompted me to write about it.

I've taken out DVDs and put videos on PCs, but there is still lots of physical stuff for them to handle.

You will get clues as time goes by from your kids as to what means "you" to them.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Your local hospice might be able to offer advice but probably the suggestions from Boiler and Ellie have given you a good start.

Forum Member
    I seen this idea on T.V. a little while ago, favourite jumpers made into cushion covers. Probably need a bigger box. Xxx

Thank you for your suggestions. you have helped me a lot

Wow Ellie and boiler you guys have given me so many great ideas .thank you very much xx