Thread: Advice please x (mobility scooter)

Forum Member

Advice please x (mobility scooter)

Hello everyone x I'd love some advice about mobility scooters. I have upper limb onset, after ten months my left hand (where it started) still has strength to move fingers to palm, can't really straighten them.
    My left shoulder is weaker but some days I can still lift it up to a cupboard unsupported.
    My legs are fine, but i get fatigued very easily and we have a rural bus service, so although I should be getting a disabled bus pass soon, I can't rely on them for getting about.
    I found a mobility scooter that was extremely easy to drive due to high levels of suspension, control mechanism that even my bad hand can use and arm rests that I can rest my arms on to drive (I'm 5'2" so these things are not a given!)
    My family have said they'll buy it for me, it costs 2 grand. I'm worried I might deteriorate rapidly and not be able to use it/ need a power chair.
    I've tried a few second hand ones and found with normal suspension they're harder to use, or they drift to one side which is hard to correct. Or (from a dealer) they're only 300 quid cheaper than new!

Is it sensible to go for this one? If i had an adapted car, if be able to drive, but my driving test was cancelled due to MND hospital appointments and because by the end of the lesson he had to do the handbrake for me..
    I think going that route would cost even more..

Sorry for the long post, I guess it's a lot of money, they do have it from inheritance and are happy to do it. Motability lease doesn't arm suitable as it's 3 years.

Would value your opinions progression wise etc xxx

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,
    I have a super little wheelchair it's called a foldawheel. It golds up like a pushchair in seconds do will fit in any car easily. You can have the joystick on either arm. I have 2 batteries so will do at least 12 miles on a full charge. I think it was around 2000.00. I am 5' so I have the smallest model.

Forum Member
    Hi Eppleby Cath, that's what i was wondering, if I should go for a wheelchair.. no one in our family will be able to put things in a boot, and i don't have a partner, so that aspect isn't as important to me. How far can you go in it? Did you consider a scooter too? Knowing I'm upper limb onset does make you wonder how long you'll be able to use it, and they lose so much value..

Hi Lisa,

If you think the scooter would suit you better right now, go for it.

You've no way of knowing how long you'll be able to use it for - could be 2 years, could be 2 months - but, if your family want to help and buy you a scooter (very often they feel good at doing something that will make your life easier) then let them. There's obviously a decent second-hand market for them too, which is reassuring.

If you decide on a wheelchair for immediate use, as opposed to waiting for one to be provided, would they buy that instead?

Tbh Lisa, it's a Carpe Diem​ (seize the day) disease we have - so, maybe don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!??

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Lisa,

Ellie has made a lot of good points above.

Maybe try a freedom type of wheelchair first as they are similar money but I reckon that if you found that scooter good then you should go for it.

Get as much help as you can to get a better quality of life.

Love Terry

I love that Ellie, maybe we should rename MND as the Carpe Diem disease!

Lisa, scooters aren't always so manoeuverable in shops and cafes. Also the seat on my scooter is quite high and although I can spin it round and get it to a table okay I find it difficult to eat as I am higher than the dining chairs. My scooter is medium-sized and it's great for walking the dog or going on country walks.
    I have a folding powerchair as well which is much better in the shops and if I want to eat out. If something works for you today then go for it xxx

Forum Member
    Thankyou xx my walking is still fine, I just get very tired trying to walk between bus stops and tired of waiting for for such irregular buses! So I need it as a car replacement for short journeys really. We
    went to the scooter shop again and the suspension is so good that I barely needed to use my arms at all. And i can even lean them on the arm rests and steer. I have small hands, and with this scooter i can reach the speed control while I'm accelerating too. We got it basically...eek.. My family have paid half, and I'm paying the rest in 10 instalments from my PIP. That works out 40 quid a month more than it would on mota lity, but it will stop after 10 months rather than go on 3 years (given I'm unlikely to be able to use it that long, and still wouldnt own it)
    I am worried that I should have got a power chair.. but this will give me so much freedom at the moment in a semi rural environment, I've been so frustrated by having to give up the dream of driving when I'd finally got so close..
    Thankyou so much for your feedback everyone xxx and for the advice in accepting help gracefully x