• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deb
    Forum Member
    • May 2018

Accessible Travel.

Hi Everyone,
    I thought long and hard about posting this as I know many of us are unable to travel or get out and about. However,I thought it might help someone.

We are currently abroad and I was very anxious about the journey as it is the first time I have flown since I became unable to walk or transfer without assistance. My hubby persuaded me to go for it and I thought he needed a holiday ! We had several conversations with Jet 2 holidays who assured us everything was in place. They allowed me to bring my scooter, wheelchair and walker, which I need to help me transfer at no cost. I was taken to my seat on the plane in a wheelchair where I was able to shuffle across. I had the same level of care in the resort and we had a WAV transfer provided , at no extra cost .

We had booked a wheelchair friendly hotel and it certainly is. The rooms have enough space for my wheelchair and the wetroom has lots of rails and raised seats. There is a hoist to the pool ,ramps and raised sunloungers and tables.

I felt very vulnerable travelling as , obviously you are reliant on other people. I am not home yet so the return journey easily could go pear shaped! I have been impressed with the level of care and thoughtfulness.

Again I apologise for the thread but if anyone wants anymore details please PM me.
    Love Debbie x
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Sounds ideal Debbie and lovely to get away at this time of the year.

All credit to Jet2 for making journey as stress-free as possible and big brownie points for not whacking on a levy for the WAV!

If you want to name the hotel (maybe when you're at home for security reasons), feel free as it's not often a hotel is genuinely wheelchair friendly, not to mention having a pool hoist

Enjoy the rest of your hols and hope your return journey goes smoothly.

I'm glad you went along with your hubby's suggestion - win win situation !!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Barry52
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2012

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for posting this as it will give confidence to others wishing to go further afield. I know you said the package was booked through Jet2 holidays and I would hope they offer a similar experience if just booking flights.

Barry x
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Boiler68
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2018

Hi Deb

Thanks for posting..it's nice to hear of a positive and reassuring travel experience.
        Hope you and your husband can relax and enjoy your break away. Thumbs up to Jet2!

Xx

Comment

• Newbie17
          Forum Member
          • May 2017

Well done Debbie for being so brave and a big thumbs up to Jet2.
          Never imagined you would be able to take all that gear with you.
          You've encouraged me to look again at going away .
          Looking forward to hearing where you are.
          Hope you're having a great holiday and wishing you a safe and uneventful journey home!

Comment

• Terry
            Forum Member
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Deb View Post

Again I apologise for the thread but if anyone wants anymore details please PM me.
            Love Debbie x
            Hi Debbie,

You can post good news things on this forum without apologising.

So glad that you are away and things are going well. Like others have said, please post hotel and the place.

Fingers crossed for home journey but let your hubby sort that out as it comes.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• shrew
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2018

That's good to know. We recently flew Leeds to Malaga with jet2 and the special assistance was really good , this package sounds interesting

Comment

We went to Copenhagen last weekend, special assistance was really good, I took electric fold up wheelchair and I transfered by two guys lifting me onto an aisle chair. All went smoothly. Not sure how I woukd managed if I needed the loo though. Hotel was good, very good adapted room with electric bed.

Comment

• Lynne K
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2017

Amazing Debbie. Great to hear that Jet2 let you take your mobility vehicles at no extra charge. They stand alone in the airline industry by the sound of it, brownie points well earned. I hope others take Jet2's lead. I hope that you have a really good time and a similar great experience on your journey home. Lynne x
                  ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

• Ellie
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                    ... Great to hear that Jet2 let you take your mobility vehicles at no extra charge. They stand alone in the airline industry by the sound of it ...
                    In case anyone is concerned,

EU law stipulates that all EU licensed carriers, landing or departing in an EU airport, must carry up to 2 mobility aids *free of charge* (subject to certain conditions) for a passenger with reduced mobility.
                    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• Deb
                      Forum Member
                      • May 2018

Apologies again for those of us who are unable to travel or be out and about !

I said I would post detais of the hotel we stayed in because it was very accessible. It is the Princess Yazia in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. We had an adapted suite and the hotel was very happy to provide extra equipment like a shower wheel chair. There is wheelchair access or a hoist to the pool and they are able to raise the height of the bed, if required.There are ramps and lifts everywhere and the sea front is very flat for a wheelchair or a scooter.

We booked through Jet2 holidays. I thought the journey home could go pear shaped and it did as there was a storm in Lanzarote with all flights cancelled. Jet 2 had two plane loads of people to find a hotel for and although we had to wait they managed to find us an adapted room with WAV transfer to and back to the airport next day. They also made sure there was someone to help hubby with luggage, scooter etc. A huge thumbs up to them !

I was really anxious about the holiday but we felt really looked after, throughout and we even managed to laugh when the flight was cancelled.
                      Love Debbie x

Comment

• Terry
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2012

I think that jet2 did well, Debbie,

Life is hard enough when things go right.

Love Terry
                        TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

• Newbie17
                          Forum Member
                          • May 2017

Thanks for letting us know your mystery location Debbie!
                          I’ve heard of that hotel , good to have it recommended.
                          Sounds like it ticked all the boxes. Hope the sun shone for you x

Comment

• Barry52
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2012

Just arrived in Lisbon to board our cruise ship bound for the Canary Islands. Heathrow was great with a wheelchair roll on to the aircraft via the bridge. Not so good in Lisbon as we transfered via the amblulift which travelled 500 metres and then I had to climb onto a minibus to the terminal.

Now relaxing for 10 days.

Best wishes to everyone.

Barry x
                            I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

• Sheila
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2019

Have a lovely holiday Barry.
                              Best wishes
                              Sheila x

Comment

Working...
                              X