Thread: suprapubic catheter

Forum Member

suprapubic catheter

anyone got one? pros and cons of it. had a nightmare with the normal one and had to have it taken out.

Hi Lv73;

I've known of at least two ladies and I believe one man on the forum that have had it done.

It has given them near total freedom to go out or sleep without much worrying.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I opted for the suprapubic catheter after a little but of research. It is is the best option if you are full-time in a wheelchair as I am.

I had it fitted in June - and it works well. It is changed on a regular basis by District Nurses - 6 weeks is the optimum change time. It does take a little bit to get used to it but otherwise it is just there. I was initially on a leg bag during the day and added a night bag for sleeps. Big drawback for me was the length of the tubing - it sort of confined me to a single position in bed - not able to turn as the tubing is only 1m long - not long enough to let me turn over.

However - the good news: I found that Belly Bags are available on prescription and they are exactly what is needed - no more long leg tubes to get tangled up in and I can turn in bed without any problems. The bag allegedly is good for 28 days - but we change mine about once a week - to keep it all nice and hygienic without too much 'smell'. Also - there are two tube lengths for a belly bag - short 5cm version (no idea how that is supposed to work - and the extra length tube - enough for you to self empty the bag directly into the loo. - code is B1000CT - I get mine via Charter medical.

My recommendation is fit a suprapubic catheter with a belly bag regime.

Kind regards

Chas

Forum Member
    I found it irritated the inside of my bladder with the other one. do you think I will have the same problem?

Forum Member
    That's sorted out peeling. What about pooping?

Forum Member
    The suprapubic catheter does need maintenance. This because your bladder sheds material - just like your skin does - and that has the potential to block up the small holes that are at the end of the catheter. Maintenance is easy though - and you can do it yourself as required (if required).

I take vitamin C chewable tablets - they help breakdown the buildup around the catheter - I find that is all I need to do.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    That's sorted out peeling. What about pooping?

Hi Martin - good question - one I have had a lot of problems with. We went through the whole toileting thing using a ceiling hoist and sling - but as you have found out you need to go via the bed to be able to get your trousers and pants down before you get hoisted back into the commode/shower chair. And if you are in a hurry - there may be repercussions.

My solution has been to not wear trousers! Instead I use a wheelchair leg cover - https://www.co-opmobility.co.uk/mobi...hoC3YcQAvD_BwE - and leave my sling on during the day - so that it is ready to be hooked up to the hoist. Takes away the need for the bed. Works a treat.

Kind regards

Chas

Forum Member
    My husband had a supra pubic after discomfort and infection with urethetal ones over months.
    He had problems with bowel control as he had to go as soon as he felt the need which wasn't always possible.
    The surgeons found the bowel was stretched and elastic like and was in the way of where the catheter needed to be inserted. After a short discussion they did a colostomy at the same time. Toileting problems solved. So much better all around, however I don't think they will do it as a convenience?

Kernowmum

Forum Member
    My other half has just been given a penis pouch catheter. It’s really simple. It’s literally a pouch that sticks over and around the penis and he has a bag strapped to his leg for daytime and a stand to attach a bag to overnight. He’s only had it a couple of days, but so far he likes it. It was recommended by a continence expert who was with our district nurse. It was thought to be better than a convene system.