Thread: Help

Forum Member

Help

Hi! I will write a more detailed introduction at some point but I urgently need some advice. My name is Amanda and in July this year I took my 77 year old mum to hospital because her speech was slurry, the doctors initially suspected a stroke. After a few days they said it was likely to be MND, and I needed to get a LPA.
    I have been in absolute denial since then, but she was taken into hospital this weekend and deemed a swallow risk, and put on nil by mouth. She was discharged yesterday, at risk.
    She is adamant, always has been, that she doesn't want any medical intervention.
    I'm frantically trying to fill out her LPA form but I don't know what I should write, how do I put it?

Hi Mo's daughter and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Is she having more tests to get formally diagnosed?

Is she back eating and drinking?

I guess you've visited the Gov web site on this:- https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/make-lasting-power

Also you could ring Mnda connect and ask them or maybe the hospice or citizens advice would help.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply Terry.
    My mum has had a lot of tests, I have been there for every one except the last one at the end of September which was what the Neurologist said would confirm the diagnosis, I believe it was an EEG but I'm not good at remembering these things. Anyway, we have an appointment with the neurologist next week for the results. Since July, she has almost lost all her speech, and her jaw shakes violently.
    She has been registered disabled for about 40 years because her muscles are weak, but no diagnosed reasons why. In the last year she has become scrawny, she was always slim, I thought it was just her age, but it has been quite a dramatic physical change.
    I will look at the link you sent, I just need to get the wording right on the forms, I should've done it weeks ago. It was awful to see her in the hospital, she really thought her time was up! She is eating and drinking now, though it takes her so long any hot meal or drink is cold long before she finishes it

Forum Member
    Welcome, so sorry to hear about your Mum. My Husband was diagnosed 17/7, its such a shock isnt it.

Sorry to hear about Mo, your mum. Take care, Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Forum Member
    I'm sorry to hear that Shrew, I can't imagine what you are both going through :'( My mum hasn't been officially diagnosed yet, but I've read a lot the past few days. MND is a truly awful thing