Thread: Scared I've got MND

Forum Member

Scared I've got MND

Hi all. I'm so scared I've got MND. It started 5 days ago with multiple muscle twinges happening at the same time. All over my body. Kinda started in legs on Monday really now is all over my body. I'm a 41 year old male and keen runner. I went to docs and he thot muscle tiredness but obv this wouldn't be all over. He said given time I've had it he's not too worried but I'm off my face with worry. I have a 10 month old daughter who I would love to see growing up. No other symptoms of MND I don't think. I'm very weak with worry tho. Doc says I have health anxiety as well. I've to go back in 2 weeks. Thank you for any advice.

Hi Josh

I am sorry to hear that you are scared that you might have motor neurone disease (MND). One of the major causes of muscle twitches is stress and anxiety. It can be really difficult as the more you worry about the twitching, the more it will occur causing more worry.

Muscle twitching all over the body is not usually an initial symptom of MND. Symptoms of MND ususally develop over a long period of time and having twitching for 5 days would not normally be something to be overly concerned about. Has the GP suggested any ways to cope with the anxiety?

If it would help then please do feel free to give us a call here at the helpline. We regularly speak to people who are concerned that they may have MND and we are able to talk through your concerns with you. We are here to support people who are worried about MND as well as those people who have been diagnosed with MND so please don't hesitate to make contact with us. We are available Monday-Friday 9am-5pm on freephone 0808 802 6262 or by email at mndconnect@mndassociation.org

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser
    Last edited by MNDConnect; 30th November 2018 at 16:50.

Hi Josh and welcome to the forum;

Sorry to hear about your worries. I think it's very unlikely to have anything to do with Mnd. Some of us get muscle twitches in particular muscles, but not normally all over. Twinges is much different to twitching or fasciculations.

Things normally occur much slower as well, weakness and fasciculations generally start in one two parts of the body and can spread a lot slower.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Thank you Rachel and Terry. The muscle twinges are constant in my calfs and the only time I don't feel them so much is lying down when my legs are flat.

I have started a course of anti depressants and I spoke to an advisor on this forum yday which was really helpful.

I also appreciate people on here are living with this condition and I felt really selfish after I posted my question. So I apologise. However I am very grateful you both took the time to get back to me and reassure me to an extent.

Thank you.

Hello Josh,

There is no need to apologise for asking for advice here. You were genuinely worried and very anxious yesterday and so asking for help and speaking to someone on the MND Helpline was the right thing to do. I am glad that Terry and Rachel were able to help you.

I hope that taking the anti-depressants help because it is important that you do not panic and it is also important that do not let anxiety take over your life, especially as you have your precious young daughter to think of and spend plenty of happy times with. You have your daughter's first Christmas to look forward to!

'Dr Google' can be a dangerous thing because if we Google our symptoms then lots of 'possibilities' and not 'definites' for a diagnosis can come up. The internet cannot give you a medical examination and is not medically qualified. Remember, your GP is there to make sure that you get any medical help you might need and so keep seeing you GP as and when you feel is necessary - and try not to worry!

Best wishes to you and your family,

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 1st December 2018 at 16:20.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!