Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uncomfortable air mattress

Hi David;

I don't like memory foam mattresses because you sink down in them and that hollow makes it harder to move and remains a hollow for five or so minutes. Having said that, I have been sleeping on one for many years. I am able to move myself around with the aid of good slippery silk sheet and a pair of high good grab rails.

I still have some strength in my hands and arms.

Love Terry

Steve has had two different air mattresses neither of which were comfortable. They were set for his weight but he was in pain and kept us both up several times a night. He then had a vicair mattress that had air filled bags inside, a bit like pg tea bags. This was ok for about a week then he was in pain again. The tissue nurse came out and a had look and she recommended a new mattress from invacare which is a soft form premier active 2. It has a low level very quite pump that comes on and off and gently massages the body. It was a new system that came from the invarcare rep then purchased by the Red Cross. It has been very good. He gets neck pain because of a fussed neck which has been made worse with the loss of muscle due to MND. This causes his head to go to the left and by morning his head sometimes needs manipulating so it’s doesn’t hurt. He is being provided with a bed system called Symmetrisleep, that will keep his shoulders from dropping and a pillow that will fit around his head to keep it still. It is coming on Monday so will see if it works.

His hospital bed was provided through our community team as the social worker OT wasn’t able to order this. It seems to be different area to area.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I tried that exact same Invacare mattress (brand new) but found when the pump came on on, it was really loud and it vibrated. We tried putting the pump on the floor, cushioning it with towels but it made no difference - is Steve's like this?

I have a good comfy Meditech mattress but recently got a profile bed and my Community Nurse suggested I try the Invacare one as it's "so quiet" - it's silent until the pump activates, then all hell breaks loose

Please let me know the name of the pillow when Steve gets it, it might suit me.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi Ellie
    The pump does make a noise but it is very quiet compared with the air mattress ones, it doesn’t wake you up. Maybe it isn’t working properly.
    The system he has coming is from this company. http://www.symmetrisleep.co.uk/ It comes on Monday.

Sue

Thnks for that info Sue.

I'm a very light sleeper so am glad my usual mattress is quiet. Equally glad that Steve also found a mattress he is happy with!

I currently use DIY head supports on my pillow to keep my head from lolling to one side - cold heat packs in big soft socks - but I'll look at those V-shaped head cushions.

Hope it works out for Steve.

Love Ellie.

Hi Ellie;

Don't know if you have the shop or have looked at their web site. They do have a range of neck support pillows and other ideas:-

https://www.dunelm.com/search/neck#f...&pageSize=wide

Love Terry

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at products Terry.

I've tried a few neck cushions - those which gave adequate lateral head support were too bulky under my neck and my head rolled over those which were comfy under my neck.

I just need to keep my head steady, the pillow supports my neck well, so I came up the beanbag solution. It works a treat except they sometimes are positioned incorrectly (by a tired man putting me to bed at midnight and doesn't do the Chuckle Bros "to you, to me" faffing about routine)

I was interested when I saw Sue's post so I'll find out how firm those cushions are.

Love Ellie.