Thread: Care homes with complex care

Care homes with complex care

My mother was diagnosed with Bulbar MND before Christmas having shown symptoms from around April time 2018. She declined rapidly at the beginning of this year and is currently being cared for in a hospice in Chester. Following an initial short prognosis, the team there now think she may have several months left to live which is too long for them to care for her. She has an NG tube as she is too weak to have a peg fitted which is presenting big problems finding a care home with available beds that can cater for complex care. We want to keep her in Chester where her friends and family can easily visit her, but we have narrowed our search down to two nursing homes in Chester that could care for her, both of which are currently full and one of which is not that nice. We are being told that she may have to be sent further afield which is not fair on her or her loved ones. There also seems to be limited suitability anywhere at any distance anyway. If she has to be moved a distance then it is possible she could come down to the West Midlands where I live but this is far from desirable. She cannot be cared for at home. Does anyone know of any nursing homes in the Chester area or West Midlands that would care for someone with complex care needs?

Hello Tania,
    I was so sorry to hear that your mother was diagnosed with bulbar MND before Christmas last year.
    Firstly, I wondered what assistance you have been offered in Chester with regards to identifying a suitable nursing home for your mother? As although we are unable to recommend a nursing home, we may be able to give you some guidance in relation broadening your search. Firstly, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) are responsible for monitoring, inspecting and regulating health and social care services, which includes nursing homes. Their website allows you to search by postcode and includes ratings of the care services they monitor - please see the following link for further information - https://www.cqc.org.uk/
    May I suggest that you call us here at MND Connect to discuss your mother’s situation in order for us to fully explore the options available to her. We are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 08088026262. We will do our best to support you and your mother.
    Kindest regards
    Ruth
    MND Connect Adviser

Baily2Jordan
    Would you please explain, how will i Care homes with complex care?

Hello Baily2jordan,
    Thank you for your question about accessing complex care. Firstly, if you do not currently have care, I would suggest that you seek support from your local Adult Social Care team (based within your local council), as they would be able to carry out a Community Care Assessment for you. This would be used to determine your care needs. In addition, if you currently have assistance with your care needs from a family member or friend, they could have a Carers Assessment. Please see the following link to our information sheet entitled 'Your Rights to Social Care' for further information -
    https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...ocial-care.pdf

I would also suggest that the Care Quality Commission (CQC) website is another good source of information relating to accessing both home care and residential care. The CQC website allows you to search by postcode - please see https://www.cqc.org.uk/ for further information.
    I do hope this information is helpful. However, if you have further questions, please do get in touch either via the forum or by email at mndconnect@mndassociation.org or on our freephone helpline on 0808 8026262.
    Kindest regards
    Ruth
    MND Connect Adviser.