Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel chair v Riser recliner

Forum Member

Wheel chair v Riser recliner

Hi all, my wife finds the riser chair so uncomfortable after a while, i read on hear some members like to stay in there electric wheel chair, if its better in the wheel chair i will get my wife to try.

Hi David,

Personally, I like to mix it up and tend to spend the day in my wheelchair and evenings in my riser-recliner armchair.

It means I don't spend all day in the one position - mind you, I'm at an advanced stage and have no way to physically adjust my position.

I have different cushions for each chair providing comfort and support. Her COMFORT is paramount - your wife's OT should assess her and supply whatever aids would make her life easier and better.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Hi davidr

As Ellie mentions, your wife's comfort is the most important thing. If the riser-recliner armchair is uncomfortable, her occupational therapist needs to carry out an assessment to either provide suitable cushioning to make the chair comfortable or to provide another suitable chair that is comfortable.

Having a chair as well as the wheelchair to sit in is a good idea as it enables your wife to have a choice of where to sit and because changing positions is really important.

Please do speak to your wife's occupational therapist as they should be able to help to make your wife more comfortable.

Best Wishes
    Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

David, my care/wife finds it easy hoist me off the bed using the riser recliner onto the commode chair and once finished hoist onto the wheelchair it is a Salsa j2. When first had it three years ago could still manage using frame to get in the house chair. But now no I stay in the wheelchair all day it rises and reclines well. The seat did get uncomfortable but my local council who provided the chair got me a new up to date seat. It air filled plastic bits small balls and very comfortable. So my wife very happy as I disappear into the conservatory to watch all my recorded rugby matches and Manchester United football. Going get proper roof on conservatory so not freezing this winter. Best wishes John

Forum Member
    Thanks for your comments, i will get on to the OT about a better cushion for the riser, i have mentioned to my wife about using the wheel chair more in the house, we have only had the wheel chair a few days and she's still learning to drive it.

Hello all,

Now that the MNDA has understandably stopped it's riser/recliner lending service, I thought I would look into purchasing one. I was pleasantly surprised to see on the internet that new riser/recliners are not as expensive as I thought they would be and can be purchased from around £250.

Some online retailers already have some price reductions (but maybe there will be more bargains in the January sale).

Links to a few online retailers of riser/recliners are below:-

https://livewelltoday.co.uk/furnitur...SAAEgJUHPD_BwE

https://www.betterlifehealthcare.com...CAAEgJ00vD_BwE

https://www.careco.co.uk/cat-rr01/riser-recliners.htm

Love Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 7th December 2018 at 20:28.
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.
    Trying to take one day at a time ..... but it's not easy!

David
    Steve found his recliner uncomfortable but the OT provided a repose cushion which he finds very comfortable. His tissue nurse told him it was important to move up and down in rise and recline power chair, it helps the blood to circulate, and also to sit in his recliner or lie in bed just for a change of position. He has tried several cushions for his power chair, not found that really works fully.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
    Hello all,

Now that the MNDA has understandably stopped it's riser/recliner lending service, I thought I would look into purchasing one. I was pleasantly surprised to see on the internet that new riser/recliners are not as expensive as I thought they would be and can be purchased from around £250.

Some online retailers already have some price reductions (but maybe there will be more bargains in the January sale).

Links to a few online retailers of riser/recliners are below:-

https://livewelltoday.co.uk/furnitur...SAAEgJUHPD_BwE

https://www.betterlifehealthcare.com...CAAEgJ00vD_BwE

https://www.careco.co.uk/cat-rr01/riser-recliners.htm

Love Kayleigh x
    Hi Kayleigh,

I suggest caution be applied when buying a riser/recliner chair. I have a very good one which I bought with my own money but I bought one for my mother online and we had to send it back because it was uncomfortable and poorly made.

The old adage applies in you get what you pay for. MNDA have stopped maintaining chairs but they will provide a grant to buy one and often your local MNDA branch will pay to maintain it.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Dear Mnda;

Can the mnda make available the specification sheet and as much info as possible to help us and our OT's to measure etc, to try to make sure we buy a suitable sized one.

Love Terry

Hello Barry,

Many thanks for your helpful advice about riser/recliners.

Thinking about it, in the past I would never have bought an armchair or sofa without trying it out in a furniture shop first, to make sure it was comfortable. I also agree with you that 'you get what you pay for' and so in the case of riser/recliners, cheap and cheerful is probably not the most comfortable! I don't really need a riser/recliner at the moment, it's just something I thought would be nice to have - a little Christmas treat to make up for not being able to have wild nights out on the town anymore! As there is no rush for me to get one, I will do some research first.

Many thanks for your sensible advice. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Best wishes,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 8th December 2018 at 13:27.
    July 1969 science enabled mankind's first step on the Moon.... over 49 years later and sadly still no scientific breakthrough to cure MND.
    Trying to take one day at a time ..... but it's not easy!