Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel chair v Riser recliner

Hi there;

It's important to try it or try to make sure it fits.

Buy a two motor one so you can alter parts independently.

Don't rule out second hand ones and some Mnda branches might know of someone selling or giving one away.

My OT got me one made to my specification free, to say I was in the right place at the right time is a understatement, but worth a try.

Love Terry

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your advice about riser/recliners. At first your talk about motors was getting a bit too technical for me - I was thinking I want to sit in it, not drive it, and where do I put the petrol in? I thought we had suddenly gone 'off topic' and onto your thread about motorbikes! But now I have looked at them again on the internet, I can see what you mean about the chairs with 2 motors being better to use than those with just 1 motor (and no need for me to get an MOT or petrol for it!)

Now that you have sorted out the technical bit for me, I just need to make sure that it is comfortable ... and, oh yes, I also need to decide what colour I want - there's more to choosing a riser/recliner than I first thought! However, I could have made that rookie mistake of buying on impulse, only to regret it later. Many thanks to you and Barry for being my Knights in Shining Armour and coming to my rescue with such great advice!

Love
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 8th December 2018 at 01:56.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Forum Member
    Kayleigh Mick got his rise/recliner free. The occupational therapist had it approved on the Friday and I think it was delivered the following Tuesday. We didnt get a choice of colour though, its like a beige. He finds it so much better than his armchair which was too low

Often the local hospice will lend out a rise and recline chair but they are generally refurbished. My hospice offered me one 2 years ago and when I went to see it I declined their kind offer. It was patterned draylon, say no more!

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hello Shrew, Barry and all,

Shrew - Thank you for letting me know that your OT ordered a riser/recliner chair for Mick. Because the MNDA used to have a riser/recliner lending service, I had jumped to the too hasty conclusion that OT's would not be able to get them, but maybe this varies according to the region where people live. Definitely worth me enquiring about, and so many thanks for kindly letting me know about this possibility.

Barry - I see what you mean about patterned draylon not being to everyone's taste - not always 'easy on the eye', especially as there could be major 'pattern clash' if there is already patterned furniture in the room! How generous and lovely for the hospice to offer though - there is such kindness out there!

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I really do appreciate all the time and trouble that everyone has taken to let me know what options are available.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Love,
    Kayleigh xx
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 8th December 2018 at 14:39.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Hi Sue. I received a chair Wednesday from the family of somebody local to me who had lost his battle with MND after just 6 weeks use. He'd only been diagnosed 8 months ago. A quick deterioration indeed. I find the chair uncomfortable and worsens my back pain. Our Ikea sofa (using a small cushion to support my lower back) is lovely and comfy. But in the near future as I'll need to use a recliner/riser. I don't know what to do. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

Could your OT take a look at you sitting in the R-R armchair and see if a lumbar roll, seat cushion, or whatever, would improve your sitting position?

It was kind of that family to give you the chair, but if it's too deep/wide for you and causing you pain - and it can't be sorted with cushions, then it's not right for you unfortunately.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne

I got a rise and recliner from the OT when I was first diagnosed because I had a back problem and couldn't sit on a normal height chair. We have altered it a few times as it is in sections at the back and we have taken the stuffing out and moved it about . You really should be measured for one if your OT is allowed to provide you with one .

Glad you have settled in your new home you will soon get it all sorted

Love Chris

Forum Member
    hi Mick was measured for his. He just couldnt get comfy in our chair. his chest was uncomfortable, he kept sitting forward.they also put 2nd stair rail up, they are ( i think) doing wet room, i returned my form last wk with details of my earnings and day after sent 2 plumbers, this will be clos i mat loo as well. I think u get basic but can pay more to upgrade. Micks resurrected his old hobby of amateur radio n is using trolley type table we bought for him in jan when having hip replc. its 2 small n shes approved a bigger one. we were going to buy one

Chris,
    My OT was going to come out to measure me but rang to say that the MND Association has stopped supplying chairs so she can't measure me. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.