Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel chair v Riser recliner

Hi Ellie. Thanks for your message about the rise and recline chair. The one I was given is too short in the seat for me. The width is ok. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne;

Your OT should maybe provide one as they are a important piece of equipment for us to be comfortable and safe. You could be lucky and they provide you with one.

Love Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Lynne
    Our local authority supplied mine not the MNDA , but I think it does depend on where you live . Another case of the post code lottery maybe
    Love Chris

Hello Lynne.

That is such a shame about the OT cancelling the appointment and must have been disappointing for you. As the MNDA is no longer loaning riser/recliners, hopefully more local authorities will look into providing them. As Chris has already said, it is a bit of a postcode lottery at the moment.

Hopefully, all local authorities will have the finances to provide riser/recliners in future - we can live in hope!

Love
    Kayleigh
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Dear Mnda;

Can the mnda make available the specification sheet and as much info as possible to help us and our OT's to measure etc, to try to make sure we buy a suitable sized one.

Love Terry
    Hi Terry

I've checked with our Support Services Team who ran our riser-recliner armchair loan service. Unfortunately we don't have a specification sheet that we could make available. A riser-recliner should be assessed for by an Occupational Therapist to ensure that it is the correct size before a chair is purchased.

Best Wishes
    Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

My OT is coming tomorrow and planning on talking through the options about the chair. She had first said that a local hospice could pick it up. Then she emailed me again to explain that there are other options. One is to have the chair altered. The other is to buy one, maybe applying for a grant yo help toward the purchase price. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hello Lynne,

It sounds like you have got a very helpful OT, which is good.

It is a shame that your local authority does not provide riser/recliners but hopefully one of the other options will work out for you.

I would imagine that there are many other OTs around the country who used to use the MNDA's riser/recliner loaning service and, like your OT, are now having to look into other ways that their patients can get them.

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Love,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 11th December 2018 at 19:14.
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Thanks Kayleigh. You are right about my OT. She is a very good one. Lynne

Hi Lynne

Your OT can apply to the MND Association for a grant towards the cost of a riser-recliner armchair. The Support Care Grant application that the OT would need to complete can be found here https://www.mndassociation.org/getti...ople-with-mnd/

The provision of a riser-recliner armchair is the responsibility of statutory services in the first instance. When the OT has exhausted the statutory services route then the OT can source a suitable chair and apply for a grant from the MND Association for a contribution towards the cost.

Best Wishes
    Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser

Thanks Rachel. Lynne