Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel chair v Riser recliner

We went to 2 showrooms on Friday to hopefully try some rise and recline chairs but there were non available. I went home and got in touch with Oak Tree Mobility. A rep came out this afternoon. For the first time in 40 years I could sit in a chair without using a cushion to support my lower back. The demo chair was fabulously comfortable because the seat was not hard like the chair that I'd been given a couple of weeks ago. It had lumbar support in just the right place. That is of prime importance to me. It was a single motor chair that did not strain my back when rising or reclining because it held my back in the same seated position. I have a quote and sent a scan of it to my OT so she can make the funding application to the MNDA. Has anybody else bought from Oak Tree? If so, how did you geton? Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Lynne,

I haven't purchased anything from Oak Tree, but have looked at their website and it appears that they make some very good quality products. Great that they brought a riser/recliner to your home to try out and that you found it to be so comfortable. It is about time you had a comfortable chair to sit on!

I hope all goes well with your funding application, and that you get a new riser/recliner very soon.

Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Kayleigh, my OT said to get a double motor chair but the rep suggested a single motor doesn't put strain on people's back like a double motor does. I agreed about the strain caused by double motor because the one I had for a couple of weeks did do. But a single motor one doesn't go into a nearly lying down position. It stays in a seated position. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Hi Lynne,

You have had a lot to think about but it sounds like you have made a good choice.

You are going for the option which is the most comfortable and suitable for you, taking into account the issues with your back.

The option with the nearly lying down position might be good if someone wants it to do that, but definitely no good if it is not comfortable enough.

I never knew there were so many options to consider with riser/recliners - choosing handbags is much more straightforward!

Kayleigh x
    We are a fabulous forum family - the precious bond we all share is powerful and strong!

Thanks Kayleigh x

Hi Kayleigh. I emailed Oak Tree and asked them to send me a quote for a dual motor rise and recline Rowan chair. I remembered that I need 'tilt in space.' I have that on my powered chair. I change the seat position depending on how my back feels on any given day. I adjust my cushion on our settee for the same purpose. So a static seat would cause me problems in the long run, despite it feeling super comfy on that one minute sit in it. Lynne

Forum Member
    Hi Kayleigh, I almost need a rise/recliner but for the moment have a swivel transfer circular seat ( I love these in the car! and found by accident that it worked wonderfully on a chair too) and a very large flat cushion behind me to move me forward on the chair. I find this is helping me a lot.
    https://www.co-opmobility.co.uk/mobi...CABEgIbnvD_BwE
    Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for letting me know about the swivel seat. I am going to get one. It will definitely help me to get in and out of the car more easily - and more elegantly!

Some local authorities provide riser/recliners and so hopefully yours will be one that does. Otherwise, there is the option of applying for a grant from the MNDA (via your OT), like Lynne has done.

I hope you and your daughter have a lovely day. The school holidays have gone so quickly!

Kayleigh x

Hi Lynne,

It's good that you are taking as much time as you need, and that you're not rushing into a decision about which chair is most suitable.

From what you have said in your last post, it sounds like the dual motor option recommended by your OT is definitely worth considering, Possibly a good idea to talk things over with your OT, if you are unsure.

Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 6th January 2019 at 14:28.

Thanks Kayleigh. I emailed my OT so she'll probably get back to me Monday or Tuesday morning. I'll be in hospital probably zonked out but I'll check my emails when I've got a clear head. Lynne